Community in read only mode June 18 & 19
This community will be set in READ ONLY mode for a while on Tuesday June 18 into Wednesday June 19 while we import content and users from our Micro Focus Forums community site. MORE INFORMATION
Absent Member.. knobby Absent Member..
Absent Member..

Layer 2 Discovery Missing Connections

[editing accident]

0 Likes
8 Replies
Absent Member.. Walinton Absent Member..
Absent Member..

Re: Layer 2 Discovery Missing Connections

Hello,

Please clarify if these are VMs to a physical switch connections that you're expecting.

Do you know to what switch port each VM should connect to, or can you get a few samples from the network team to compare. Once you get a couple of example switch ports that should show a connection to a VM, please find the switch port in the NNMi inventory and review if the same switch port is already connected to another interface (could be another VM, or a physical device).

L2 connectivity for end-nodes (such as Servers) depends heavily on the switche's FDB table. NNMi needs to be able to discover the server's interface MAC address and the MAC should be present in the switche's FDB mapped to a switchport.

What you can do to verify the FDB information reported by the switch is to run a configuration poll in verbose mode against the switch and then look for FDB in the output.

nnmconfigpoll.ovpl -v <switch>

There are other more advanced information that can be reviewed to understand why the connection isn't discovered, but let us start with that.

Finally, you can manually add connections using the nnmconnedit.ovpl too,,please refer to the NNMi Reference Pages for more details

Regards

HP Support
If you find that this or any post resolves your issue, please be sure to mark it as an accepted solution.
0 Likes
AndyKemp Acclaimed Contributor.
Acclaimed Contributor.

What sort of virtualization platform are you using ?  

The difficulty in mapping out layer2 connections with certain types of virtualization platforms is because of the software construction "softswitch" which in alot of cases does not in spite of its associated marketing pitch act as a full switch.  Its ARP and MAC tables are inaccessable as well as it wont be functioning in a truely transparent mode.  If available, enabling LLDP/CDP in the softswitch will assist in this matter, but its not available in all version.

Have a nice day 🙂

Andy Kemp
I've lasted longer in the technology industry than most certifications.
0 Likes
Absent Member..

Thanks very much for the responses.  Here is what I can tell you.  These are VMs connected to a Nexus vSwitch.  For some reason, that switch was not discovered.  It is now discovered and some real L2 connections are shown, but none of the virtual.  NNM can see the virtual interfaces but not their L2 connection.  I have attached the results of the config poll here.  I can't find anything related to FDB in the poll.

Also, when I check the supported mibs on this device, it shows these unloaded but supported mibs:

• .iso.org.dod.internet.mgmt.mib-2.rmon.29.1.2.1.0   (.1.3.6.1.2.1.16.29.1.2.1.0)
  • .iso.org.dod.internet.mgmt.mib-2.92.1.1.1.0   (.1.3.6.1.2.1.92.1.1.1.0)
  • .iso.org.dod.internet.private.enterprises.6.3.16.1.1.1.1.1.49   (SNMPv2-SMI .1.3.6.1.4.1.6.3.16.1.1.1.1.1.49)
  • .iso.org.dod.internet.private.enterprises.cisco.local.9.5.0   (CISCO-SMI .1.3.6.1.4.1.9.2.9.5.0)
  • .iso.org.dod.internet.private.enterprises.cisco.ciscoMgmt.25.1.1.1.2.1   (.1.3.6.1.4.1.9.9.25.1.1.1.2.1)
  • .iso.org.dod.internet.private.enterprises.cisco.ciscoMgmt.43.1.1.1.0   (.1.3.6.1.4.1.9.9.43.1.1.1.0)
  • .iso.org.dod.internet.private.enterprises.cisco.ciscoMgmt.68.1.2.1.1.2.1   (.1.3.6.1.4.1.9.9.68.1.2.1.1.2.1)
  • .iso.org.dod.internet.private.enterprises.cisco.ciscoMgmt.92.1.1.1.11.22   (.1.3.6.1.4.1.9.9.92.1.1.1.11.22)
  • .iso.org.dod.internet.private.enterprises.cisco.ciscoMgmt.109.1.1.1.1.6.1   (.1.3.6.1.4.1.9.9.109.1.1.1.1.6.1)
  • .iso.org.dod.internet.private.enterprises.cisco.ciscoMgmt.131.1.1.1.0   (.1.3.6.1.4.1.9.9.131.1.1.1.0)
  • .iso.org.dod.internet.private.enterprises.cisco.ciscoMgmt.195.1.1.1.1.986   (.1.3.6.1.4.1.9.9.195.1.1.1.1.986)
  • .iso.org.dod.internet.private.enterprises.cisco.ciscoMgmt.301.1.1.1.0   (.1.3.6.1.4.1.9.9.301.1.1.1.0)
  • .iso.org.dod.internet.private.enterprises.cisco.ciscoMgmt.586.1.1.1.0   (.1.3.6.1.4.1.9.9.586.1.1.1.0)
  • .iso.org.dod.internet.private.enterprises.cisco.ciscoExperiment.56.1.1.1.0   (.1.3.6.1.4.1.9.10.56.1.1.1.0)
  • .iso.org.dod.internet.private.enterprises.cisco.ciscoExperiment.93.1.2.1.0   (.1.3.6.1.4.1.9.10.93.1.2.1.0)
  • .iso.org.dod.internet.snmpV2.snmpModules.11.2.1.1.0   (.1.3.6.1.6.3.11.2.1.1.0)
  • .iso.org.dod.internet.snmpV2.snmpModules.13.1.1.1.2.105.110.102.111.114.109   (.1.3.6.1.6.3.13.1.1.1.2.105.110.102.111.114.109)
  • .iso.org.dod.internet.snmpV2.snmpModules.18.1.1.1.2.9.50.56.48.48.51.50.49.56.49   (.1.3.6.1.6.3.18.1.1.1.2.9.50.56.48.48.51.50.49.56.49)

I have tried looking through the available mibs and loading them, including what I believe are some of the ones listed above, but I always get these results again.

0 Likes
Absent Member..

I have talked to the network team and CDP is only enabled on physical interfaces.  Also, our NNM is running on a vm connected to a different switch, so not sure if CDP is part of the issue.  Can NNM detect layer 2 connections for virtual machines connected to a nexus vswitch when the nnm box is a vm on a different switch?

0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Hello ,

The fact that NNMi is on a different VM switch should not be a problem. If NNMi can get SNMP data from the connected devices the connections should be discovered but only if at least one of that devices provide connectivity information via SNMP. VM end node itself usually does not provide any connectivity data. So, NNMi relies on another neighbor. If that neighbor is a switch there is a good chance the connection will be discovered if the switch interface is configured for some type of connectivity protocol like LLDP/CDP or at least the switch reports good and correct FDB tables data. We have a support tool which can collect all troubleshooting data for connectivity problem. If you would like us to investigate why some nodes are connected and others are not please submit a support case and provide the output file created by the tool. Let's assume we have not connected devices with hostnames  host1 ,  switch1 and connected ones with host2 and switch2. The command below creates the file. I assume NNMi  10 is running with Patch 1.

cd  <NNMi-Support_Dir>/NMSDataCapture

nmsdatacapture.ovpl  -scope  nnmCheckConnections   "host1,switch1,host2,switch2"

It  will tell the output file name and location.

Best regards,

Sergey Pankratov
NNMi Support

The views expressed in my contributions are my own and do not necessarily reflect the views and strategy of HPE
If you find this or any post resolves your issue, please be sure to mark it as an accepted solution.
If you are satisfied with anyone’s response please remember
to give them a KUDOS and show your appreciation
0 Likes
Absent Member..

Thanks very much, I will open a case now.

0 Likes
Absent Member..

When running nmsdatacapture.ovpl on NNM 10.01, I get this error:

Creating an archive for collected data ...
sh: /opt/OV/nonOV/jdk/nnm/bin/jar: No such file or directory
Couldn't create archived:

The directory is now hpsw not nnm, so I linked it and then the command works:

NMSDataCapture]# ln -s /opt/OV/nonOV/jdk/hpsw /opt/OV/nonOV/jdk/nnm

0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.. Walinton Absent Member..
Absent Member..

Hello

Thanks for the info.

We have submitted an internal change request to have that updated

Regards

HP Support
If you find that this or any post resolves your issue, please be sure to mark it as an accepted solution.
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.