Highlighted
Respected Contributor.. Respected Contributor..
Respected Contributor..

MIB Variables to text conversion

Hi all,

I noticed that in a lot of SNMP traps some OIDs has no textual conversion. So I tried to find out why. For example I can see for a simple link down trap the following custom attributes within the SNMP trap of a Cisco Switch.

.1.3.6.1.2.1.2.2.1.1.41 (asn_integer)          41

.1.3.6.1.2.1.2.2.1.2.41 (asn_octetstring)          TenGigabitEthernet2/8

.1.3.6.1.2.1.2.2.1.3.41 (asn_integer)          ethernetCsmacd

.1.3.6.1.4.1.9.2.2.1.1.20.41 (asn_octetstring)          up

cia.snmpoid (String)          .1.3.6.1.6.3.1.1.5.4

cia.address (String)          192.168.1.1

cia.originaladdress (String)          192.168.1.1

So I assume, that for the first 3 variables in the trap the last value in the OID (41) is the ifindex. In the IF-MIB there are only variables without this last value. So the OIDs are not converted into text. Am I right?

Is there a way to change this? I think this a standard MIB, which is used quiet often. Or is this a problem of cisco devices sending traps?

Best regards

Tobias

0 Likes
3 Replies
Highlighted
Acclaimed Contributor.
Acclaimed Contributor.

Re: MIB Variables to text conversion

Tobias,

You are quite correct.  The OID of a varbind is made up of two parts, the Variable and then the instance.  In alot of cases the instance is just the last digit, but this is not always so.  Instances can take multiple digits - these are typically for variables in tables.

In the analysis pane the variables are normally printed as their numeric OIDs.  The values will be printed in ascii if they are enumerated within the MIB definition files.  There is no way currently to alter this.  Please log an ER if you would like to have this capability.

All the best

Dave Y

MicroFocus Support
Viewed the Support tips? Search for "(NNMi) Support Tips" and order by Date to get the list
The views expressed in my contributions are my own and do not necessarily reflect the views and strategy of MicroFocus
If you find this or any post resolves your issue, please be sure to mark it as an accepted solution.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Respected Contributor.. Respected Contributor..
Respected Contributor..

Hello Dave,

thank you for your reply. I'm wondering that this is still not implemented.

I'll debate whether I open an ER for this.

Best regards,

Tobias

0 Likes
Highlighted
Acclaimed Contributor.
Acclaimed Contributor.

Tobias,

I think this is a good suggestion so I have opened an Enhancement Request internally.

All the best

Dave Y

MicroFocus Support
Viewed the Support tips? Search for "(NNMi) Support Tips" and order by Date to get the list
The views expressed in my contributions are my own and do not necessarily reflect the views and strategy of MicroFocus
If you find this or any post resolves your issue, please be sure to mark it as an accepted solution.
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.