Highlighted
Trusted Contributor.
Trusted Contributor.

Migrating NPS Data from v10.10 to v2018.05

Hi all,

We're planning to move an old NMC envir to the latest NOM versions. Since we're also about to upgrade the OS (RHEL) as well, and since in-place upgrade will involve several steps, we consider having the new NOM hosts set up on new separate servers.

My concern here is for the NPS migration;

I'm wondering if our old NPS data (both perf.data and all our reports) somehow can be moved in any way?

Like exporting/importing from the old to the new NPS. We perhaps might have to upgrade the NPS to a newer, intermediate, version where maybe such tools (backup/restore?) are available?

Anyone having any experiences and recommendations to share on this topic?

BR Torgeir S

0 Likes
4 Replies
Highlighted
Acclaimed Contributor.. Acclaimed Contributor..
Acclaimed Contributor..

Re: Migrating NPS Data from v10.10 to v2018.05

Hello Torgeir,

best practice is to follow the upgrade guides (Interactive Installation Guide) and to examine the Support Matrix for the applications. This leads to an upgrade path like this (multiple steps as you mentioned):

NNMi: 10.10 Patch (upgrade to latest patch) -> 10.30 -> 10.50 -> 2018.05

NPS: same versions as NNMi

Next step is to decide in which step must I switch to the new server with the new OS release and what is the recommended way to migrate the data. NNMi is mostly not the problem, but NPS. Even an inplace migration can end up in not migrated data and you can decide to retry or install a the new version from scratch. So snapshots, copies, backups and "some time" are a very good idea.

I have in mind that I have read about a script/tool to upload old data to NPS, but I don't remember where (I think it is in the support directory for NPS - currently no NPS to look at). The content store might be the next problem ....

HTH and kind regards

Allessandro

0 Likes
Highlighted
Trusted Contributor.
Trusted Contributor.

Hi Allessandro,

Thanks for the suggestions. Yes I'm afraid we will have to go along the upgrade path.

I will check on our current NPS for any scripts/tools to move data. Or maybe this is only available on the later versions...?

Any of you guys in MF Support having any info/experience on these details??

Rgds

Torgeir

0 Likes
Highlighted
Respected Contributor.
Respected Contributor.

Hello Torgeir

We were in same situation but decided to go for entirely new systems. Transporting data was a problem so we had the old system running until the end of retention period for older reports.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Trusted Contributor.
Trusted Contributor.

Hi ToolMaverick,

Thanks for your comment.
Yes, this is what we've also decided to do. We're about to setup new hosts and initiate new data collection.

Rgds Torgeir

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.