Super Contributor.. Ad1t1a99 Super Contributor..
Super Contributor..

Multiple Threshold values for a single parameter/metric using isPI Metric for Performance

Jump to solution

Hi,

I have gone through multiple blogs and seems I can't set multiple thresholds for a single metric. For example, my customer wants to have a warning alert at 60 and critical at 75% CPU utilisation.

There must be a workaround for this though. NNMi, being a standard monitoring tool, is expected to fulfill such a requirement.

Can you tell me what best thing can I do for my client for this requirement?

Regards,

Aditi

0 Likes
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Re: Multiple Threshold values for a single parameter/metric using isPI Metric for Performance

Jump to solution
  • Hello Aditi,

This can be also done without Custom Poller just by creating a few enrichments for the incident CpuOutOfRangeOrMalfunctioning. Lets say a user would like to have a Warning severity if CPU is in the range 60-69,

Minor if in the range 70-79, and Critical if CPU >=80.

• Set the threshold to 60 and create two enrichments with the following payload filters

(ciaName like cia.thresholdMeasuredValue.* AND ciaValue between 60 AND 69)

(ciaName like cia.thresholdMeasuredValue.* AND ciaValue between 70 AND 79)

Change the severity in each enrichment to Warning and Minor.

Regards,  

Sergey Pankratov
NNMi Support

The views expressed in my contributions are my own and do not necessarily reflect the views and strategy of HPE
If you find this or any post resolves your issue, please be sure to mark it as an accepted solution.
If you are satisfied with anyone’s response please remember
to give them a KUDOS and show your appreciation
0 Likes
5 Replies
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Re: Multiple Threshold values for a single parameter/metric using isPI Metric for Performance

Jump to solution

Hello Aditi,

You can configure two Custom Pollers – one for Warning with threshold 60% and one for Critical with threshold of 75% CPU Utilization. Related to the two Custom Pollers you should configure two enrichments of the Management event if you want to change the node status, the message format and etc. Also, you could correlated the Warning incident as child of the

Best Regards

HP Support

If you find that this or any post resolves your issue, please be sure to mark it as an accepted solution.

If you are satisfied with anyone’s response please remember to give them KUDOS and show your appreciation.
0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Jump to solution
  • Hello Aditi,

This can be also done without Custom Poller just by creating a few enrichments for the incident CpuOutOfRangeOrMalfunctioning. Lets say a user would like to have a Warning severity if CPU is in the range 60-69,

Minor if in the range 70-79, and Critical if CPU >=80.

• Set the threshold to 60 and create two enrichments with the following payload filters

(ciaName like cia.thresholdMeasuredValue.* AND ciaValue between 60 AND 69)

(ciaName like cia.thresholdMeasuredValue.* AND ciaValue between 70 AND 79)

Change the severity in each enrichment to Warning and Minor.

Regards,  

Sergey Pankratov
NNMi Support

The views expressed in my contributions are my own and do not necessarily reflect the views and strategy of HPE
If you find this or any post resolves your issue, please be sure to mark it as an accepted solution.
0 Likes
Super Contributor.. Ad1t1a99 Super Contributor..
Super Contributor..

Jump to solution

Thanks Sergey.

Excellent!!! Seems to be working.

However, I did a setting at payload giving ciavalue>=75 and the enrichment gets applied to all except the value 100. Strange it is. As a workaround, I have set another enrichment for value 100 and now want to test it.

Will keep you updated.

Regards,

Aditi

0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Jump to solution

The reson it does not work for 100 is because the custom attributes are strings (not numbers), so it does lexicographical comparison instead of numerical.

Sergey Pankratov
NNMi Support

Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Jump to solution

Hi Sergey,

Assume utilization reached to 61% and alert got triggered, in next polling interval if it crosses 70% OR similarly 80%

- Does it changes the SEVERITY in the same alert? 

NO, bcoz MINOR alert raised when value between 70 - 79 will neither get closed nor changes when SEVERITY crosses >80

This solution works only in the first iteration...

Thanks,
Bharath
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.