Sigurður Hannes Absent Member.
Absent Member.

NNM 8.10 which OS to choose ( win, linux, unix ) ???

Jump to solution
Hi,
we have been running NNM for several years on hp-ux but now we are looking to upgrade to NNM 8.10.

I am wondering what experience other people have of NNM 8.10i on different OS types(win, linux, unix). Bottom line is that we all have to look at cost issues ( who does not ) and sometimes sacrifice some stabiltity.

regards,
Siggi
0 Likes
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Masmix Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: NNM 8.10 which OS to choose ( win, linux, unix ) ???

Jump to solution
Hello

We migrated from 7.53 on HP-UX to NNMi 8.10 on RHEL Linux server working on VMware. It is working stable, there was no problem with installation. RHEL is the only supported Linux platform by HP.

I have also tried to install it on CentOS 5.4 which is RH-like free platform. I had to only install 2 libraries and everything was also working OK.

IMHO there is no need o install NNMi on HP-UX.

Best regards

View solution in original post

5 Replies
Masmix Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Jump to solution
Hello

We migrated from 7.53 on HP-UX to NNMi 8.10 on RHEL Linux server working on VMware. It is working stable, there was no problem with installation. RHEL is the only supported Linux platform by HP.

I have also tried to install it on CentOS 5.4 which is RH-like free platform. I had to only install 2 libraries and everything was also working OK.

IMHO there is no need o install NNMi on HP-UX.

Best regards

View solution in original post

Mika Hokkanien Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Jump to solution
I stand by Masmix.
Go to Linux. It's working fine. Also, take into account what competence your sysadmins have. If you are more Windows guys, then Linux may be too costly from maintenance labor perspective of view.
Sigurður Hannes Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Jump to solution
Hi,
thanks for your input. I have to admit that linux is something I have been considering for a while. I keep hearing from HP people that so many are using NNM on windows but then when I ask around I can´t find them for some reason or the other. Also I like to be able to use the flexibility of unix based system ( 'awk' is my friend 🙂 ).

The specs for hardware seem to be quite hefty - on what kind of hardware are you guys running your systems and how large is node/interface base?

regards,
Siggi
0 Likes
Masmix Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Jump to solution
Hi Siggi

I'm during migrating from 7.53 to 8.10. It can be not so reliable for You. Now I have about 300 nodes with minimum traps allowed.

I have started from minimal hardware:
4 vCPU (Xeon like CPU)
5GB RAM
80GB HDD (I use embedded DB which is Postgress in NNMi)
Virtual machine is hosted on ESX 3.5 farm.
As far I noticed - CPU is not a problem. Probably I will have to add more memory to my virtual machine when more nodes will be managed. At the moment 4GB for 300 nodes works OK.

Best regards.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Jov Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Jump to solution
Hey Siggi,

Regardless of platform, NNMi or any other HP BTO s/w using the same technology (Java, JBoss, etc..) are memory hogs.

Depending on the size of your production network environment and features utilised, I'd highly recommend you have 8Gb of RAM.

And when it comes to OS memory management, the old boys (HP-UX, Solaris, AIX) still do a better job IMO.

Cheers
Jov
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.