saurabh237 Absent Member.
Absent Member.

NNM 9i and NNM 7.5 difference presentation

Hi,

I need any kind of info about nnm 9i (technical and marketing) as much as possible to know all ins and outs and to make nice presentation. As there is not much material about nnm 9i ...So if anyone has any type of any info regarding the nnm 9i please.
thanks in advance.
0 Likes
8 Replies
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Re: NNM 9i and NNM 7.5 difference presentation

Hi Saurabh,
Check "Top 10 Reasons to Upgrade"
http://h71028.www7.hp.com/enterprise/us/en/promo/nnmi/why_upgrade/index.html

Regards,
Mahmoud Ibrahim
http://www.mahmoudthoughts.com
Regards,
Mahmoud Ibrahim
https://www.itmthoughts.com
New version of Mahmoudthoughts witten by other IT experts
  • Say thanks by clicking the "Kudos! Star" which is on the left.

• Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer with "Accept as Solution" if it solves your issue.
  • 0 Likes
    Micro Focus Expert
    Micro Focus Expert

This is a list of new features form 8.x to 9.x

1. Realtime grapher for MIB values, predefined or custom
    i. Graph MIB values out of the box, or customize launch using your own expressions
    ii. Ability to graph multi-instance SNMP MIB variables from a Node
    iii. 44 built-in graphs include Cisco CRC
    2. MIB browsing, MIB loading, and MIB expression collection
    3. NNMi MIB expressions with custom polling
    4. Card â port monitoring for ProCurve and Cisco
    5. IPv6 support
    6. Global Network Management
    7. Many new capabilities for incident enrichment and customization
    8. NNMi customizing trap & incident behavior
    i. Define a interface filter or node filter to match sources you want to modify actions or incidents for: new flexibility in filter editor to use discovered attributes, custom attributes, combined with â and/orâ selections
    ii. can set suppression, dampening, enrichments or actions specific to your node or interface group
    iii. Can also change behavior of incidents based on payload (key parameters)
    9. NNMi correlation customization
    i. Create new incident correlations of multiple existing child incidents under an existing incident or into a new parent incident
    ii. Incident filtering and correlation logic can be based on custom or attribute values of the source node or object.
    iii. NNMi provides a sample Custom Correlation for correlating sub-interface down incidents under the main interface down incident (for Cisco devices)
    10. NNMi card and port monitoring
    i. Card-level management for Cisco and ProCurve to board/port level
    ii. RCA of card failures (all interface down incidents for a card correlated under the card down incident)
    iii. Advanced analysis of card insertion and removal for Cisco devices
    11. NNMi 9 more cool new stuff
    12. Improved maps: Cisco & Procurve device family names in icons, VMware vswitch, multiconnections; can zoom & find in map
    13. Greatly enhanced self-diagnostics / health report including realtime graphs of status distribution, trap pipeline, and SNMP requests
    14. Improved filtering (including table view filtering and many other UI improvementsâ ¦ see ReleaseNotes)
    15. Administrator has more control over menus and user roles
    16. Can customize submenus and separators
    17. Integration URLs can be launched with objects selected using Custom Attributes
    18. Enhancements to discovery including interface filtering and CLI
    19. State poller can be configured to only monitor the mgmt address
    20. OOB support for https

Regards,
    Mahmoud Ibrahim
    https://www.itmthoughts.com
    New version of Mahmoudthoughts witten by other IT experts
  • Say thanks by clicking the "Kudos! Star" which is on the left.

• Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer with "Accept as Solution" if it solves your issue.
  • saurabh237 Absent Member.
    Absent Member.

Thanks Mahamoud for your reply, the information you shared is great.

But i found in forums, Tibornad share some presentation of NNM 7.5 and 9i comaprasion. If anyone have that information it would be great help.
    0 Likes
    Highlighted
    Absent Member.. Wes Kaufmann Absent Member..
    Absent Member..

How does NNMi 9 support or discover vswitch?
    0 Likes
    bnpsupervision Absent Member.
    Absent Member.

Hi,

I saw your post :

02-22-2011 09:37 PM
    Thanks Mahamoud for your reply, the information you shared is great.

But i found in forums, Tibornad share some presentation of NNM 7.5 and 9i comaprasion. If anyone have that information it would be great help.

I have to do the same comparaison of nnm 7.5 and 9i. Can you communicate me the URL of Tibornad's comparaison or your comparaison ?

Thanks for your help 🙂

Bests Regards.
    0 Likes
    Acclaimed Contributor.. AndyKemp Acclaimed Contributor..
    Acclaimed Contributor..

vswitch ?  Would you be refering to virtualized switching platforms like Cisco's ASR 9000 series ?  If thats the case very well indeed. Just like any other hosted  platform you've got the host and then the instances.

Back to the original question:

The largest difference you'll find is that in December 7.5 is EOL and will be sent over to the obsolete products category. Aside from that , NNMi is a complete re-write.

NNMi is discrete only accepting enabled SNMP notifications from managed devices and managed objects in that device. All others are ignored. NNMi constantly discovers based upon the rules you set for it.

Differences under the hood:  Web based information delivery. Single database for the main product. Jboss application resident in memory. Scales insanely verses NNM 7.x.  Runs on linux, windows, HPUX, solaris.

So to wrap it all up, dump 7.X, replace it with NNMi.

Have a nice day 🙂

Andy Kemp
    I've lasted longer in the technology industry than most certifications.
    0 Likes
    bnpsupervision Absent Member.
    Absent Member.

vswitch ? I didn't mention it ...why did you mention it ? I didn't get

EOL ?

there are some points I don't understand if you can explain to me please :

- Web based information delivery

- Single database for the main product --> so there is more than one database in NNM 7.x ?

- boss application resident in memory

- Scales insanely verses NNM 7.x.

if you have more informations, I will be thankful

Anyway thank you for giving me some useful informations 🙂

0 Likes
    Acclaimed Contributor.. AndyKemp Acclaimed Contributor..
    Acclaimed Contributor..

- Web based information delivery

To access NNMI you just use a modern version of a web browser

-Single database for the main product --> so there is more than one database in NNM 7.x

Yes one for each major process as well as numberous flat files that store information.

--(J) boss application resident in memory

JBoss is an application server ... you can look it up in wikipedia.

- Scales insanely verses NNM 7.x.

7.x has difficulty servicing 1,000 nodes on high end hardware. NNMi in my own implementations dioes well and does more for 20,000 nodes with over 2 million interfaces on PC server hardware (less expensive)

Have a nice day 🙂

Andy Kemp
    I've lasted longer in the technology industry than most certifications.
    The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.