Highlighted
Acclaimed Contributor.. Acclaimed Contributor..
Acclaimed Contributor..

NNMi 10.10 support VRRP and VRF in combination?

Jump to solution

Hi

My customer uses NNMi 10.10 AE on Linux. For a Cisco ASR 9006 configured with VRRP, they experience a problem where NNMi generates incidents claiming that 'Multiple primary devices in Router Redundancy Group' exist.

Investigating this further, it turns out that the device in question is a member of *multiple* VRRP groups. These groups all have the *same* virtual IP address. Furthermore, each member interface on this router in the different VRRP groups all all have the *same* primary IP address. Each of the primary IP addresses, however, are members of *different* VRF (Virtual Routing and Forwarding) groups, and hence the above scenario should be perfectly fine, network configration wise.

The question is; Is NNMi 10.10 not supposed to handle this scenario?

From what I have found in HPE Document ID QCCR1B145449 , NNMi 10.10 supports VRF per se for Cisco ASR devices. Evidently NNMi 10.10 also supports VRRP for Cisco ASR 9000 devices (although from what I can see in the support matrix, it does not claim to support VRRP for the Cisco ASR 9006 device (??!!) )

Could anyone please shed some light on this?

Here's the relevant interface and VRRP config of the Cisco ASR device in question (I have just replaced the actual names and IP addresses), in case that helps:

my-asr-node:

interface Bundle-Ether11.2

ipv4 address 10.0.0.2 255.255.255.248

interface Bundle-Ether11.3

vrf area1

interface Bundle-Ether11.7

vrf area2

interface Bundle-Ether11.8

vrf area3

router vrrp

interface Bundle-Ether11.2

vrrp 2

address 10.0.0.1

bfd fast-detect peer ipv4 10.0.0.3

interface Bundle-Ether11.3

vrrp 3

address 10.0.0.1

interface Bundle-Ether11.7

vrrp 7

address 10.0.0.1

interface Bundle-Ether11.8

vrrp 8

address 10.0.0.1

BR,
Frank Mortensen
Managon AB

0 Likes
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Re: NNMi 10.10 support VRRF and VRF in combination?

Jump to solution

Hi Frank,

This is a side effect of a current NNMi limitation in regards to Routers Redundancy Groups:  NNMi considers only the group's virtual IP address and not the Router Redundancy Group (RRG) ID when creating RRG objects for monitoring. However when two RRG groups are configured on two different interfaces that reside in two different VRFs, they can share the same virtual IP address but will have a different RRG ID.

These "'Multiple primary devices in Router Redundancy Group" incidents are the result of this current limitation.

Following Enhancement Request has been opened for the same:

KM02230578: Request to have a functionality that considers both Virtual IP address and HSRP Group ID to define uniqueness per the HSRP group

All the best

Marie-Noelle

Micro Focus Customer Support

If you find that this or any post resolves your issue, please be sure to mark it as an accepted solution.

If you are satisfied with anyone’s response please remember to give them KUDOS and show your appreciation.

View solution in original post

3 Replies
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Re: NNMi 10.10 support VRRF and VRF in combination?

Jump to solution

Hi Frank,

This is a side effect of a current NNMi limitation in regards to Routers Redundancy Groups:  NNMi considers only the group's virtual IP address and not the Router Redundancy Group (RRG) ID when creating RRG objects for monitoring. However when two RRG groups are configured on two different interfaces that reside in two different VRFs, they can share the same virtual IP address but will have a different RRG ID.

These "'Multiple primary devices in Router Redundancy Group" incidents are the result of this current limitation.

Following Enhancement Request has been opened for the same:

KM02230578: Request to have a functionality that considers both Virtual IP address and HSRP Group ID to define uniqueness per the HSRP group

All the best

Marie-Noelle

Micro Focus Customer Support

If you find that this or any post resolves your issue, please be sure to mark it as an accepted solution.

If you are satisfied with anyone’s response please remember to give them KUDOS and show your appreciation.

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Acclaimed Contributor..

Re: NNMi 10.10 support VRRP and VRF in combination?

Jump to solution

Uh oh, that was bad news, but thanks for your reply Marie-Noelle. I reckon we will have to create a suppress-rule workaround for this in the meantime (read: perhaps permanently..)

Cheers,
Frank

0 Likes
Highlighted
Acclaimed Contributor..

Re: NNMi 10.10 support VRRP and VRF in combination?

Jump to solution

Hi again

I have a follow-up question on this. It seems that ALL 'Multiple primary devices...' incidents in my customer's environment have appeared since we upgraded from 10.0 to 10.10. I know for sure that this specific incident config (RrgMultiplePrimary) existed in NNMi even before 10.10, so what could possible explain that the problem with all these incidents has started to occur now after upgrading to 10.10?

Cheers,
Frank 

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.