Nghia Nguyen Valued Contributor.
Valued Contributor.

NNMi 10.20 does not auto recognize connected interfaces after initial discovery

Jump to solution

Hi there

I am using NNMi version 10.20 on Windows. Server 2012 There are about 200+ routers and switches, mainly Cisco, in my network, being monitored by NNMi. I am having one issue as below:

- When I first discovered devices, eg a switch, on NNMi, some interfaces were marked by NNMi as not polled because they were down (ifadmin down). This is fine, I have no problems with that.

- Then, when I connect those interfaces with other interfaces (ifadmin up), NNMi does NOT automatically detect those interfaces, no changes on the  poll status, ie No Status/Not Polled. I've expected NNMi could have done it.

Is there anyway for NNMi to auto detect newly connected interfaces like in my case?

Note: I've used forcing poll (details in this link) to overcome this particular issue but I am looking for a better solution because sometimes when we redploy devices, the guy forgets adding custom attributes to forceing poll interfaces.

Thanks a lot.

Regards

0 Likes
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Valued Contributor.

Re: NNMi 10.20 does not auto recognize connected interfaces after initial discov

Jump to solution

Hi all

I've found a solution for my problem using SergeyPankratov's advice on this post:

Link to the post

You can create an interface group based on ifAdminStatus (disabled interfaces) . All Disabled interfaces in NNMi has a capability com.hp.nnm.capability.iface.admin.down (NNMi 9.20 and later) . You can create an interface group using the capability where all disabled interfaces  are icluded or excluded using the following

filter 

EXISTS       

capability like *iface.admin.down              

Filter String

EXISTS (capability like *iface.admin.down) 

For excluding use "NOT EXISTS".

My solution is that:

- Create an interface group with ifadmin=up and additional filters

- Whenever there is an interface enabled, I manually run configuration poll to add that interface to the group. Or I just simply wait for the next node discovery round if it is not an important one.

- Also, I've updated our naming convention policy for ifalias, so I could use this attribute to filter interface efficiently.

Thanks for the support.

0 Likes
10 Replies
Nga Do NMC Valued Contributor.
Valued Contributor.

Re: NNMi 10.20 does not auto recognize connected interfaces after initial discov

Jump to solution

Dear Nghĩa,

Can you please let me know detail about your outcome of hotfix command?

Regards

Nga Do
SW Support Engineer | Network Node Manager I-Series

MicroFocus.com | @microfocus
0 Likes
Valued Contributor.

Jump to solution

Hi Nga

I followed the instructions on this link: 

https://community.softwaregrp.com/dcvta86296/attachments/dcvta86296/itrc-165/6893/1/hp_man_nnmi_Forcing_an_interface_Poll_9.20_pdf.pdf

In particular, I manually added unpolled interfaces into one interface group using customize attributes and ifalias(hard coded on the devices). Then I added this interface group to a polling rule on Monitoring/Monitoring Configuration. This rule forces NNMi to poll unconnected interfaces in that interface group.

Note that I am looking for a better solution avoding manual process like I am doing. If you know any, please advise. Thanks.

0 Likes
Acclaimed Contributor.. AndyKemp Acclaimed Contributor..
Acclaimed Contributor..

Jump to solution

The better solution is to have the devices provide sufficient information for NNMI to make that determination. You havent described which mechanisims are enabled on those devices like CDP, LLDP,  IEEE LAG, etc.

Have a nice day 🙂

Andy Kemp
I've lasted longer in the technology industry than most certifications.
0 Likes
Valued Contributor.

Jump to solution

Hi Andy

Thanks for the reply. Most of my devices are Cisco and they run LLDP. Can you shed light on how to use those protocols on NNMi to detect newly enabled interfaces?

So far, I've used default configs for polling on NNMi except polling unconnected interfaces feature in a custom polling rule as describe earlier.

0 Likes
Valued Contributor.

Jump to solution

Hi Andy

Interestingly, I've digged this forum and found your solution in another box:

https://community.softwaregrp.com/t5/Network-Management-OpenView-NNM/Disable-Discovery-of-interfaces-which-are-administratively-down/td-p/585215

Re: Disable Discovery of interfaces which are administratively down

In 9.2 there that option is now available indirectly using <install dir>/support/nnmPollinterfaces

Run the command against a node group which will add a new capibility to each interface based on the criteria you select (admin status, connection status) whcih you then can use in a interface group to either poll or ignore (based on the criteria you set under monitoring).

I think using ifadmin attribute could be a way forward. However, my NNMi version is 10.20, I can't find this script "nnmPollInterfaceStatus.ovpl" .

Can you advise where could I find this script or any with similar function on NNMi 10.20?

Thanks.

0 Likes
Nga Do NMC Valued Contributor.
Valued Contributor.

Jump to solution

Hi Nghĩa,

You can use this command: nnmnoderediscover.ovpl — Discover node details after the node has changed

nnmnoderediscover.ovpl places node(s) into the NNMi discovery queue. The amount of time before the node starts discovery is dependent on how long NNMi takes to get to the node in the queue

If you would like to know more about command, kindly take a look at KM here: https://softwaresupport.softwaregrp.com/km/KM02822902/nnmi10.30_ReferencePages.pdf

Hope this is helpful for you.

Nga Do
SW Support Engineer | Network Node Manager I-Series

MicroFocus.com | @microfocus
0 Likes
Valued Contributor.

Jump to solution

Hi Nga

Thanks for the quick response. I've searched the reference doc and there is no parameter to check ifadmin or add custom addtribute to the interface. Can you please advise?

Regards

0 Likes
Valued Contributor.

Jump to solution

Hi all

I've found a solution for my problem using SergeyPankratov's advice on this post:

Link to the post

You can create an interface group based on ifAdminStatus (disabled interfaces) . All Disabled interfaces in NNMi has a capability com.hp.nnm.capability.iface.admin.down (NNMi 9.20 and later) . You can create an interface group using the capability where all disabled interfaces  are icluded or excluded using the following

filter 

EXISTS       

capability like *iface.admin.down              

Filter String

EXISTS (capability like *iface.admin.down) 

For excluding use "NOT EXISTS".

My solution is that:

- Create an interface group with ifadmin=up and additional filters

- Whenever there is an interface enabled, I manually run configuration poll to add that interface to the group. Or I just simply wait for the next node discovery round if it is not an important one.

- Also, I've updated our naming convention policy for ifalias, so I could use this attribute to filter interface efficiently.

Thanks for the support.

0 Likes
Acclaimed Contributor.. AndyKemp Acclaimed Contributor..
Acclaimed Contributor..

Jump to solution

These workarounds will change with the versions. Since that post the command (linux) /opt/OV/support/nnmpollinterfaces.ovpl  replaced the previous command.

Have a nice day 🙂

Andy Kemp
I've lasted longer in the technology industry than most certifications.
0 Likes
Valued Contributor.

Jump to solution

Thanks Andy

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.