Highlighted
Valued Contributor.
Valued Contributor.

NNMi 2018.11 Installation Fails with NNMi Postinstall Configuration has return a non-zero error code

We have tried to install NNMi 2018.11 but its throws every time NNMi Postinstall Configuration has returned a non-zero error code. Network Node Manager i will not be installed.

There is no specific messaged in installation logs specific for failure. We tried on Windows server 2012 R2 as well as Windows Server 2016 Standard edition as well. We have tried reboot, uninstall and re-installation post cleanup of registry files

Appreciate all if anyone faced similar issue and have any possible solutions.

0 Likes
7 Replies
Highlighted
Acclaimed Contributor.. Acclaimed Contributor..
Acclaimed Contributor..

Re: NNMi 2018.11 Installation Fails with NNMi Postinstall Configuration has return a non-zero error

Hello,

please have a look to the file %NnmDataDir%\log\nnm\nnm-install-config.log. Did you see any ERROR line?

Please check for the "cacls" commands, Did they use locale "NT Authority" and "SYSTEM" accounts or the English names for These accounts?

Kind regards

Allessandro

0 Likes
Highlighted
Valued Contributor.. Valued Contributor..
Valued Contributor..

Re: NNMi 2018.11 Installation Fails with NNMi Postinstall Configuration has return a non-zero error

Could anyone fix this problem?

I'm facing it right now and tried a lot of alternatives but none of them worked.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Respected Contributor.
Respected Contributor.

Hi!

I have a similar case installing NNM 2018.11 last week. The issue was that there were a file in the /tmp directory, a hidden file that was locked, else the installation was not finishing without issues because that file was holding the database from start, and so, for the rest of the processes. When I checked the logs i find out it got stuck in step 11 12 from the post installation configuration steps.

My environment ws RHEL 7 with NNM 2018.11.

The locked file is: .s.PGSQL.5432, and the owner should be nmsdbmgr/nmsdb.

Hope this help!

Ivonne

PD: I found good information about the issue in the /var/opt/OV/log/nnm/public folder.

Highlighted
Valued Contributor.
Valued Contributor.

Yes I fixed it in other way around, used the quit option and again run the installer with Local administrator account it worked without issues.

I found similar issues occurred due to Group Policy enforcement by Active Directory. Even domain admin user had this error. Asked the AD admin to keep the server out of any Policy enforcement and local admin account worked. Give a try if this works out.

Regards,

Prem Raj

Highlighted
Valued Contributor..

Hi! I'm glad to see you have fixed the issue.

I have made a lot of tries in different ways, one of them is using a local administrator account and it did not work. I have duplicated the environment on my lab  and achieved solve the issue when forcing the creation of the database with the initdbms.ovpl -force -createdb command and then starting again the services and it worked, but, when I tried to apply this workaround on the customer server it did not work. 

I already tried with NNMi 2018.11 and 2019.05 and none of them finish the installation successfully.

Thanks for the response!

Regards.

Oscar Moreno.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Valued Contributor..

Hello Ivonne, thanks for the quick response.

I'm having the problem on a Windows enviornment, I have looked for the file you said but it seems don't to be there. In fact it have sense because I have fixed out the problem but on my lab and it was solved forcing the creation of the database and re-starting the services. I think the problem is related with the database but I could not fix the problem yet on the customer server.

The problem is the installation did not create much logs as I would wish... so I'm blind in this moment. Will try some other alternatives hoping to solve the problem.

Thanks a lot! If you have any other advise, please let me know.

Best regards.

Oscar Moreno.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Acclaimed Contributor.. Acclaimed Contributor..
Acclaimed Contributor..

Hello,

post install errors should be logged in the post install and config log file (see previous replies). Sometimes the init db fails to set the rights for the postgres directories. One error might be the usage of the Windows command cacls with a localized Windows user in the init db phase (see https://softwaresupport.softwaregrp.com/doc/KM02357188 where this error is decribed for French OS systems). My workaround for this is to comment out the section in the script changeUser.ovpl while the installation is running and has created the file.

HTH and best regards

Allessandro

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.