Welcome Serena Central users! CLICK HERE
The migration of the Serena Central community is currently underway. Be sure to read THIS MESSAGE to get your new login set up to access your account.
avalak Absent Member.
Absent Member.

NNMi 9.10 casual correlation

Jump to solution

Hi all,

Has anybody successfully create a casual correlation in 9.10 with custom pollers? My case is the following:

I have a WAN with branch office routers which are connected to DC with a DSL primary line and an ISDN backup. In normal conditions, the DSL line is "UP" and the ISDN "DORMANT". When the broadband connection goes down, DSL is "DORMANT" and ISDN is "UP". What I want to do is poll the routers and detect a condition where both DSL and ISDN are in the "UP" state.

Now, I have suceeded in generating custom incidents to catch each condition individually, by creating two custom pollers and detect when the ifOperStatus for the DSL and the ISDN connections are UP, but I have not yet managed to create a causal rule to correlate them. Ideally, a causal rule would create a critical event for the node and its children would be the two custom poll incidents described above. I have tried exactly that and although I have followed the sparse instructions in the online help manual, it does not work.

Has anybody tried a similar thing successfully?

Rgrds

Tags (3)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
avalak Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: NNMi 9.10 casual correlation

Jump to solution

Thanks DJ, I managed to do it an hour ago with a causal rule. It needed some obscure tweaking with the child & cia varbinds (cia.custompoller.policy to be specific). What it does is to generate a critical incident whenever two interfaces are polled in the UP state.

The problem now is that the state of the generated event is not reflected on the node itself: in simple terms, the router does not turn red so that NOC ops notice it. I cannot find a way to do it (except maybe via an web API call), so I guess this should be a new ER for the next release...

View solution in original post

0 Likes
3 Replies
Absent Member.. DJ Hogeweg Absent Member..
Absent Member..

Jump to solution

Hi,

I've got a feeling that you expectations of the causal rule are to high. If you take the "Online Help for Administrators" there is an example "Causal Rule Example" (or the pdf version page 554).

My understanding is that the correlation is very simple determined by you, there is an incident (parent) and the list of defined incidents (children) are not important due to the fact there is overruling event (ie node down (parent) and the interface down (children) events).

What you want to is to create an incident when two informational incidents occur at the same time. You can achief this with Pairwise Configurations. The trouble you might run into is that you can't use the same incident (event or trap) here. In that case you can create an new incident by defining a causal rule (you must specify a child incident but you can define it as optional). Now you can can create a Pairwise correlation. Not a solution to win a beauty contest but it works. Regards,

DJ

0 Likes
Highlighted
avalak Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Jump to solution

Thanks DJ, I managed to do it an hour ago with a causal rule. It needed some obscure tweaking with the child & cia varbinds (cia.custompoller.policy to be specific). What it does is to generate a critical incident whenever two interfaces are polled in the UP state.

The problem now is that the state of the generated event is not reflected on the node itself: in simple terms, the router does not turn red so that NOC ops notice it. I cannot find a way to do it (except maybe via an web API call), so I guess this should be a new ER for the next release...

View solution in original post

0 Likes
4Adam12 Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Jump to solution

How about....

ifOperStatus returns an integer so you could Do a custom collection like:

(ifOperStatus.<dsl int inde> + ifOperStatus.<isdn int index>)

Then set the low state to critical with low value 2 (1 (UP) + 1 (UP)) and a low rearm value of 3 (1 (UP) + 2 (DOWN))

You should then be able to check the "Affect Node Status" and "Generate Inciden" to get what your looking for.

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.