Respected Contributor.. Ranganatha_M Respected Contributor..
Respected Contributor..

NNMi False Alerts

Dear All,

We have received so many "Node Down" alerts from multiple nodes that are monitored via ICMP only. However the nodes are reachable. We need to troubleshoot if there was any issue with NNMi polling that led to the generation of such false alerts. I have looked through "nnm.log" and "statepoller.trace.log" but to no avail. Could you please help me identify the root cause for this issue. Any log files I have to look through to determine the issue with NNMi ICMP polling?

Your response is much appreciated.

Regards,

Ranganath

0 Likes
3 Replies
Acclaimed Contributor.. AndyKemp Acclaimed Contributor..
Acclaimed Contributor..

Re: NNMi False Alerts

What are your communications settings ?   It's pretty simple if your server cant communicate to the nodes within the time and repetition settings its an issue somewhere between them. Reachability from anywhere else  in the network isnt relevent.

Have a nice day 🙂

Andy Kemp
I've lasted longer in the technology industry than most certifications.
0 Likes
Respected Contributor.. Ranganatha_M Respected Contributor..
Respected Contributor..

Attached screenshot is the default communication settings used for all nodes.

0 Likes
Acclaimed Contributor.. AndyKemp Acclaimed Contributor..
Acclaimed Contributor..

So what that translates into actions is:

First attempt waits for a respose up to a maximum of 6000ms for a response, then if no reply it waits for 12000ms more before trying again, then finally for the third iteration it waits for  2400ms for the final attempt... all three have a timeout window as specified as 3000ms.

This doesnt mean that the device isnt reachable from any other point in your network if it fails, just between the server NNMI resides on and the target device. So it might not even be a network issue , it could be something on the server is comsuming the availble timeslices or network IO during that time period.

Have a nice day 🙂

Andy Kemp
I've lasted longer in the technology industry than most certifications.
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.