Highlighted
Super Contributor.
Super Contributor.

NNMi - How to use Incident Custom Attribute to carry varbind transform result

Thought I would ask about this before submitting an enhancement request.

Background:  I understand that any "incident processing" I might do on an event in NNMi cannot generally modify the trap varbinds shown as Custom Attributes in Incident details.  Basically the varbinds are 'immutable.'  However, I have noticed that Custom Incident Attributes (named cia.*) can be added to the event.

Use Case:  Cisco UCS trap reception of cucsFaultActiveNotif.  I ran into a need to use TC (textual convention) translation for varbind cucsFaultCode so its numeric value gets translated into a more human-readable code.  for example, 174 => fltProcessorUnitInoperable.

Now it's true that I can expand that text into the Message Format, but I would rather not.  My NNMi is integrated with OMi.  Since I don't want the code text to clutter up Title, I need it somewhere in the Description so it will auto-match specific articles (being a very unique keyword) from my Knowledgebase -- which engages after the event reaches my Incident Management system.  Also it would be handy for the humans who drill into the details.

Unfortunately the trap decoder in OMi's Operations Connector does not have the MIB-based TCs available to it, nor the ability to translate this without custom coding.  That's why I'd like to leverage NNMi's built-in mechanism.  Is it possible to attach this text as a named cia at the NNMi level, then peel it off by a Connector Policy to include in OMi Event Description?  Or any other suggestions?

0 Likes
1 Reply
Highlighted
Acclaimed Contributor.. Acclaimed Contributor..
Acclaimed Contributor..

Re: NNMi - How to use Incident Custom Attribute to carry varbind transform result

Hello,

I don't think, that this works in NNMi.

I would deal with this inside the Connector Policy and map the integers to the text from the MIB there (Condition Variable Bindings for each integer and then CMA with the text). This is not very smart, but should work. Second idea is to use an EPI script in OMi to handle this.

HTH and kind regards

Allessandro

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.