Highlighted
Trusted Contributor.
Trusted Contributor.

NNMi RCA and SNMP traps

Jump to solution

Hi,

Does anyone know if there exist any documentation of what SNMP traps the NNMi RCA/Causal Engine is registering and and how it is including them in its continuous analyzes?

- Is it consuming ALL traps having a valid and enabled SNMP Trap Configuration?
- Or maybe just a subtract of enabled trap configs?

BR Torgeir

0 Likes
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Acclaimed Contributor.
Acclaimed Contributor.

Re: NNMi RCA and SNMP traps

Jump to solution

Torgeir,

That is not correct.  If the traps are suppressed in either the trapFilter.conf or the nnmtrapd.conf files then they will not make their way into APA and so APA won't be able to trigger any analysis that it would normally do.  Its best to not filter these traps.

All the best

Dave Y

MicroFocus Support
Viewed the Support tips? Search for "(NNMi) Support Tips" and order by Date to get the list
The views expressed in my contributions are my own and do not necessarily reflect the views and strategy of MicroFocus
If you find this or any post resolves your issue, please be sure to mark it as an accepted solution.

View solution in original post

6 Replies
Highlighted
Outstanding Contributor.. Outstanding Contributor..
Outstanding Contributor..

Jump to solution

Hi Torgeir

no, sure not ALL traps are takem into acocuntby RCA.  To my knowledge most important are at  least following:
SNMPWarmStart
SNMPColdStart
SNMPLinkDown
SNMPLinkUp
CiscoLinkDown
CiscoLinkUp
CiscoWarmStart
CiscoColdStart
HSRPStateChange
IetfVrrpStateChange
RcVrrpStateChange
RcnAggLinkUp
RcAggLinkUp
RcnAggLinkDown
RcAggLinkDown
RcnSmltIstLinkUp
RcSmltIstLinkUp
RcnSmltIstLinkDown
RcSmltIstLinkDown

sorry, I have no full list.

my 2 cents
Gedas

Highlighted
Acclaimed Contributor.
Acclaimed Contributor.

Jump to solution

Torgar,

Gedas has provided a pretty good list and is correct in that the traps that are used by APA are hardcoded and you can't add to the list by simply enabling others.

If you want to get the full list of traps that are listened for by APA then run the following command:

nnmtwiddle.ovpl   invoke com.hp.ov.nms.apa:name=CausalRunTime dumpTrapsForAllModules

this will print out the list of interest.

All the best

Dave Y

MicroFocus Support
Viewed the Support tips? Search for "(NNMi) Support Tips" and order by Date to get the list
The views expressed in my contributions are my own and do not necessarily reflect the views and strategy of MicroFocus
If you find this or any post resolves your issue, please be sure to mark it as an accepted solution.
Highlighted
Trusted Contributor.
Trusted Contributor.

Jump to solution

Thanks for the swift reply. I'll make a note of this list.

BR Torgeir

0 Likes
Highlighted
Trusted Contributor.
Trusted Contributor.

Jump to solution

Thanks Dave,

Excellent 🙂

Since this is hardcoded in the APA, does that also imply that it is NOT affected by settings in the trap filter settings in the trap store (trapFilter.conf)?

We have several blocked traps in our envir, but that might not be opmtimal if it also influence the RCA/APA...

BR Torgeir

0 Likes
Highlighted
Acclaimed Contributor.
Acclaimed Contributor.

Jump to solution

Torgeir,

That is not correct.  If the traps are suppressed in either the trapFilter.conf or the nnmtrapd.conf files then they will not make their way into APA and so APA won't be able to trigger any analysis that it would normally do.  Its best to not filter these traps.

All the best

Dave Y

MicroFocus Support

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Trusted Contributor.
Trusted Contributor.

Jump to solution

Thank you for the clarification.

We'll have to reexamine and maybe adjust our blocking filters then.

BR Torgeir

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.