Highlighted
Respected Contributor.. Respected Contributor..
Respected Contributor..

NNMi and nodes with large amount of interfaces

Hello, I have a ticket open for a while now with support but wanted to see if anyone else has had this issue.

We have some router and 'other' type nodes that have a large amount of interfaces (2500 - 13000 interfaces) that seem like they may be causing the causal engine to back up which cascades into NNMi dropping polled events and status updates. Traps seem to work and get forwarded to OM but the polled events eventually get dropped and status' never get updated.

If anyone is curious we have ~120 of these nodes which are fully populated Cisco CBR8, UBR10k and RFGW10's - the NNMi is single node for testing just these ones and it is sized as large build and no SPI's enabled

I have tried to set them unmanaged or to be ICMP only for polling to get around this but still run into causal engine problems - i assume due to discovery process since NNMi gets through SNMP to discover them anyway.

0 Likes
3 Replies
Highlighted
Acclaimed Contributor.
Acclaimed Contributor.

Re: NNMi and nodes with large amount of interfaces

Hi

In our environment we were having around 70 devices which had large number of interfaces, each one was having more than 800+

Because of this we were seeing issues in NNMi health and we see NNMi state poller skipping performance data collection as well.

To work around these, we configured these nodes in specific node settings with bulk collection enabled and now we see everything is normal.

I am not sure whether this can help you, but it is worth to try.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Respected Contributor.. Respected Contributor..
Respected Contributor..

Get-Bulk is already enabled sadly 😞

0 Likes
Highlighted
Acclaimed Contributor.. Acclaimed Contributor..
Acclaimed Contributor..

Its a definite version dependant on performance.  We've got quite a few Cisco NCS 6008's and ALU 7750/7950's with thousands of interfaces that under v9.x struggled to be discovered as well and monitored but do not under v10.30.

Have a nice day 🙂

Andy Kemp
I've lasted longer in the technology industry than most certifications.
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.