Having problems with your account or logging in?
A lot of changes are happening in the community right now. Some may affect you. READ MORE HERE
Highlighted
Dan Tembe_2 Regular Contributor.
Regular Contributor.

NNMi current version licensing - How is a per node license consumed ?

Jump to solution

Hello NNM Team, 

I am circling back into the NNMi technical forum after about 10 to 12 years of absence. My knowledge is very dated (circa NNM 7.x)

I have a use case, where I need to consolidate traps & syslogs from about 400 different instances of a monitoring tool into a single trap consolidator. These 400 systems will be monitored directly by NNM but they will in turn be monitoring about 5000 devices. All the 5000 devices will send traps and / or Syslogs via the local monitor to NNM but they will not be directly monitored (polled) by NNM. 

So in the old days, NNM license would only be consumed for the devices monitored, actually polled via the netmon/perfmon. Is this still the same case? As in I still need to budget for 400 node licenses?

Or has this changed to where NNM in it's current version will consume a node license for every unique trap source it receives a trap from?

Just want to get clarity on this before I pursue NNMi as a sort of monitor or monitor & a trap consolidator before feeding these northbound to ServiceNOW. 

Thanks! in advance for your help/ support wiht a response. 

Best Regards,
Dan

Tags (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Honored Contributor.. Gediminas Daniu Honored Contributor..
Honored Contributor..

Re: NNMi current version licensing - How is a per node license consumed ?

Jump to solution

Hello, Dan

active monitng  i.e polling of  nodes what are added to NNMi inventory database is licensed  in NNMi. No licensing of nodes just sending SNMP traps . In many use cases NNMi is acting as SNMP Trap proxy receiving traps from 100ds of nodes and running minimal 50-node licesnse.  Please bear in mind that there is a setting in NNMi "do no receive traps from nodes not in NNMI inventory" what must be disabled for your case.

my 2 cents.
Gedas

4 Replies
Honored Contributor..

Jump to solution

Hello, Dan

active monitng  i.e polling of  nodes what are added to NNMi inventory database is licensed  in NNMi. No licensing of nodes just sending SNMP traps . In many use cases NNMi is acting as SNMP Trap proxy receiving traps from 100ds of nodes and running minimal 50-node licesnse.  Please bear in mind that there is a setting in NNMi "do no receive traps from nodes not in NNMI inventory" what must be disabled for your case.

my 2 cents.
Gedas

Regular Contributor.

Jump to solution

Gedas,

Thanks! this is very helpful and I think I can make a use case to test based on this. Much appreciate the hint for disabling the "no receive traps from nodes not in Inventory". This is new for me. I am used to netmon, ovtrapd.conf & all the old stuff. I am sure I need to hit the Admin guide next. 

I will start with pulling down a demo for 60 days and see if I can process the traps as needed before sending them northbound. If I remember correctly, it was TCP162 when sending traps northbound for NNM to NNM event forwarding, but I remember scripting a snmptrapd for UDP 162 based trap forwarding. 

Got some work cut out to test next. 

Best Regards,
Dan

0 Likes
Honored Contributor..

Jump to solution

Untitled.pngHi, Dan

setting of the "do not receive trap from non-NNMi-inventory nodes"  is there (see attached)

yes, 162 is SNMP port number. What kind  of SNMP traps integration you are using? Plese note that OM agent running locally  on NNMIi can't use port  162 'coz it makes conflict with NNMi trap receiver listening on port 162.

regards,
Gedas

Were

Regular Contributor.

Jump to solution

Hello Gedas, 

NNMi will receive SNMP traps from CA UIM & AlarmTraq which are monitoring Data devices, Avaya devices, Nortel Telecom Devices and Cisco devices.  I am only planning to monitor all the monitoring servers via NNMi hence the count of polled devices is going to be lower than actual devices which relay traps to NNMi. 

Northbound from NNMi, I need to get these traps, post de-duplication/correlation to ServiceNOW. So they need to be forwarded as a SNMP trap or I can write an action to send the event via REST/JSON. 

There will be no other tool/app taking over port 162 on the NNMi server. 

Regards,

Dan

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.