Having problems with your account or logging in?
A lot of changes are happening in the community right now. Some may affect you. READ MORE HERE
Graham Van der Outstanding Contributor.
Outstanding Contributor.

NNMi iSPI Performance Configuration Utility - Specify path to NNMi iSPI Performance datafiles folder

Hi,

We have two NNMi servers (NNMiserverA and NNMiserverB) set up in an application failover scenario and a separate iSPI Performance server.

When using the NNMi iSPI Performance Configuration Utility on the iSPI server, I am prompted to enter the path to the NNMi servers shared PerfSpi folder.

Since this is an AF scenario the folder is available on two servers. What should I enter into this field?

If I enter \\NNMiserverA\PerfSpi then I suspect that I will have to reconfigure if we failover to NNMiserverB.

Kind Regards

Graham

0 Likes
4 Replies
msharma Contributor.
Contributor.

Re: NNMi iSPI Performance Configuration Utility - Specify path to NNMi iSPI Performance datafiles fo

Hi Graham,

You may find the following link useful/relevant to your situation:

Title: NNMi in Application Failover and NPS file sharing mechanism

Link: http://support.openview.hp.com/selfsolve/document/KM00573791

Mohit Sharma,
HP Software Support

The views expressed in my contributions are my own and do not necessarily reflect the views and strategy of HP.

If this or any post resolves your issue, please be sure to mark it as an accepted solution.
0 Likes
Graham Van der Outstanding Contributor.
Outstanding Contributor.

Re: NNMi iSPI Performance Configuration Utility - Specify path to NNMi iSPI Performance datafiles fo

Hi Mohit,

Thanks for the response. I found the article useful in terms of understanding the mechanism used to failover the iSPI in a AF environment, though it didnt state what value I should enter into the 'path' field.

Today I tested a NNMi failover but iSPI didnt track the change until I modified the configuration utility with the new active NNMi server <fqdm>\PerfSpi.

I also note that in the document is states that there will be a log folder with logs, this folder and logs dont exist on my iSPI server ($NPSDataDir/nnmappfailover/log.

Kind Regards

Graham

0 Likes
msharma Contributor.
Contributor.

Hi Graham,

For version 9.2x, here is the explanation for the situation from an NNMi perspective:

(page 305, NNMi 9.22 Deployment Reference, Section: Resilience > Configuring NNMI for Application failover > NNM iSPIs and Application Failover):

NNM iSPIs and Application Failover:
You can use the application failover feature for a Smart Plug-in (iSPI) that you deploy along with NNMi if the deployment meets the following requirements:
• The NNM iSPI runs on the NNMi management server.
• The NNM iSPI uses the same embedded database instance as NNMi.

The NNM iSPI Performance for Metrics and the NNM iSPI Performance for Traffic are exceptions to this description.

If you plan to configure the NNMi application failover feature, you must install these iSPIs on dedicated servers. In this case, the iSPIs automatically connect to the new NNMi management server after failover occurs. As part of NNMi application failover configuration, run the enablement script for the NNM iSPI Performance for Metrics or the NNM iSPI Performance for Traffic on each NNMi management server in the cluster.

For more information, see Support for Application Failover in the NNM iSPI Performance for Metrics, the NNM iSPI Performance for QA, or the NNM iSPI Performance for Traffic help.

Now, from the iSPI Metrcis/NPS perspective:

(page 54, iSPI Metrics Windows Installation Guide 9.20, Section: Installing NPS in an NNMi Application Failover Environment)

NPS does not support the application failover feature, but is compatible with the NNMi management server that is installed in the application failover setup.
If NNMi is installed and configured in the application failover setup, you must install NPS on a dedicated server and not on the NNMi management server.

If you want to configure a redundant solution for NPS, you must install NPS in an HA cluster.

Application failover for NNMi ensures redundancy by allowing a secondary NNMi server to take over immediately after a primary NNMi server fails. Application failover relies on the clustering technology, a shared certificate that must be copied from NNMi to NPS, and ongoing file system synchronization.
Except for a minor service interruption lasting about 15 minutes, Application failover is transparent. Users will not notice that a failover took place. There are no special tasks for the NPS administrator to perform.
The ability of NPS to support application failover depends on files NPS retrieves from the primary server in the cluster. As soon as NPS has these files, it begins monitoring the status of the primary server by checking for status ch anges every 5 minutes. If NPS detects a status change, it does the following:
• Determines which server in the cluster is the new primary server.
• Redirects data collection to a shared directory on the new primary server.
• Begins collecting data (metrics and topology files) from the new primary.
Immediately after these events take place, NPS users are able to link from NPS to NNMi views on the new primary server, just like before the failover took place.

Application Failover Cluster
If you are running NNMi in an application failover cluster:
1 Run the enablement script once on the active NNMi server and once on each standby server in the cluster.
2 When you run the enablement script on the standby server, provide the same responses you provided when you ran the enablement script on the active server.
3 Later, if you choose to install permanent licenses for NNM iSPI Performance, install identical licenses on every server in the cluster.

and this goes further describing the copying of keystores and so on.

Hope these pointers help.

Mohit Sharma,
HP Software Support

The views expressed in my contributions are my own and do not necessarily reflect the views and strategy of HP.

If this or any post resolves your issue, please be sure to mark it as an accepted solution.
0 Likes
Nithyaraj Super Contributor.
Super Contributor.

Dear Expert

I stucked in NPS integration with NNMi Application failover.

NnmenableperfSpi.ovpl run from both the Active and standby node using NFS protocol and port 9305 https

Then i have checked in NPS ./runcheckconfigure.ovpl 

getting error unable to connect the shared directory from NNMi 

NNMi  and NPS both are installed in linux 7.4

Not able to find proper documents for NPS integration with NNMi application failover.

Please help us to fix this issue

Thanks& Regards
E.Nithyaraj.
If you can dream it, you can do it......
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.