Highlighted
Super Contributor.
Super Contributor.

NNMi upgrade from 10.00 to 10.10

I've got a very strange problem when upgrading my system from 10.00 to 10.10 when using new hardware. It appears after the upgrade I have the wrong version of the database! These are the steps I've taken -

1. Clean install of 10.00 on new hardware, no topology discovered and 4 user accounts created (1 x system and 3 x webservices accounts for the iSPIs), basic functionality tested OK

2. Still on 10.00, full database restore from another sever. Testing shows the complete  topology, incidents etc  and all user accounts as expected.

3. Upgrade to 10.10 completes successfully, however I can only login as system to the webui and there is no topology and 4 user accounts exactly as at step 1.

I’ve done this twice because I thought I must have done missed something the first time, but get the same result both times.  The old and new servers have different names which I assume may be part of the issue, so maybe I've missed a step somewhere in the process?

I have a support call open, however I know there are people here with a lot of field experience of these sort of upgrades who may be able to help (before I start to question my sanity!).

Many thanks

Cherry

0 Likes
2 Replies
Highlighted
Acclaimed Contributor.. Acclaimed Contributor..
Acclaimed Contributor..

Re: NNMi upgrade from 10.00 to 10.10

Looks like time to open up a case with support.   Typically what this shows is that the database security key is showing a missmatch and needs to be wiped from the table.

Have a nice day 🙂

Andy Kemp
I've lasted longer in the technology industry than most certifications.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Super Contributor.
Super Contributor.

Re: NNMi upgrade from 10.00 to 10.10

Just on the off chance any one else has the same issue and finds this entry I thought I would give an update. After a hugely frustating support experience where this issue was not resolved the upgrade was put on hold for a couple of months. I've now tried the upgrade again and by using the Sysinternals Process Explorer to watch the upgrade I was finally able to resolve the problem.

As part of the 10.10 upgrade the database is backed up, then reset, then the backup is imported. The directory used for this backup is %Nnmdatadir%\shared\nnm\databases\NNMiDbDump.  As part of building this server I had applied a 10.0 Postgress patch which had already left a database backup in this directory. The 10.10 upgrade restored the first backup and hence I had the wrong version of the database!

Making sure the %Nnmdatadir%\shared\nnm\databases\NNMiDbDump directory is empty before starting the 10.10 upgrade solves the problem.

The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.