Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

NNMi with Brocade SAN switch support

Hello HPE Community

I'm looking for some direction on helping a NNMi customer add Brocade SAN Switches to their NNMi 9.2 installation. They have had trouble with being able to discover the switches and I'm looking for some guidence on where to start and any problems that the community has seen with the MiB's etc.

Thank you,

Scott

0 Likes
6 Replies
Highlighted
Acclaimed Contributor.. Acclaimed Contributor..
Acclaimed Contributor..

Re: NNMi with Brocade SAN switch support

Hello Scott,

if the problems are with automatic disovery be sure that you have some seed devices like routers and switches near by the SAN switches. NNMi mainly discovers new devices based on information e.g. from ARP caches or discovery protocol data collected via SNMP. If the discovery is related to that it is not possible to add those devices to NNMi, the most common reasons are misconfigured name resolution or bad SNMP agents.

After adding a node to NNMi, the discovery tries to "identify" the node by its SNMP object id. If this OID is supported by NNMi (see Device Support Matrix) more device/vendor specific information is discovered. If supported, powers supplies, fans, filesystems, CPU, memory, etc. are added to the inventory and if defined NNMi monitors those entities (power and fans with NNMi, Performance data with the iSPI Performance for Metrics - more with other iSPIs).

Vendor specific MIBs are ONLY needed, when you want to import SNMP trap definitions (to work with SNMP traps) or if you want to setup Custom Poller). It is a common misunderstanding that loading a MIB changes something for the HPE delivered monitoring or discovery for thos devices.

BTW: NNMi 9.2 is out of support and your customer should upgrade to version 10.21 Patch 2 (current release). With NNMi 10.1 and 10.2 your customer can extend device support with the regular released Device Driver Pack.

HTH and kind regards

Allessandro

0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Hi Allessandro

Thank you for your reply. The customer sent me the log from NNMI and looking through it I see this message.

2017-04-07 12:48:25.514 WARNING [com.hp.ov.nms.trapd.NMTrapData] (Thread-48 (group:HornetQ-client-global-threads-242598092)) Failed to parse trap from /169.xx.xx.xx: Unknown engineId 80 00 06 34 B2 10 00 00 05 33 02 A9 00 for address 169.xx.xx.xx
2017-04-07 12:48:25.516 WARNING [com.hp.ov.nms.trapd.MessageProcessor] (Thread-48 (group:HornetQ-client-global-threads-242598092)) No SNMPv3 configuration available to parse SNMPv3 trap from /169.xx.xx.xx
Failed to get engine parameters for trap from 169.xx.xx.xx

* I changed the IP to a fake one so as not to post the real one.

Could you provide insight on if this is an issue with the setting on the Brocade switch? A missing configuration on NNMi or something else?

0 Likes
Highlighted
Acclaimed Contributor..

Do you have any SNMPv3  profiles on your NNMI system ?   If so the message indicates that there username and authentication doesnt match one of your existing ones.

Have a nice day 🙂

Andy Kemp
I've lasted longer in the technology industry than most certifications.
Highlighted
Acclaimed Contributor..

Hello,

as Andy wrote, this happens when the nodes are polled by NNMi with SNMPv1 or 2, but the nodes are sending SNMPv3 traps to NNMi. Please check the communication settings for the switches.

HTH and kind regards

Allessandro

0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

We had some magic happen it turns out on Friday.  When we were capturing the logs we kicked off yet another discovery attempt and for some reason this one did not time out.  We successfully discovered a single switch.  I was able to send a test trap from it which was received for processing by NNMi. 

Is there a timeout value that can be changed as it seems that could be an issue. Are there other settings that would make the discovery timeout? Switch busyness? IP Network latency?

We still need engagement on switch side configuration with MIB loadouts there as well as how to parse the OID being sent for MAPS out of the switches.  When we looked into the Brocade_MAPS.mib for example the OID trap ids seemed to be for configuration items only based on the verbage used.  I do say this loosely as I went back to the mib reference documentation and it does break down these items so it may still in fact address threshold breaches but I may need some help in making sure we know what will come through and how to take action.  

The final item (at least at this time) that I am unsure of is what to expect from the traps, will the switch funnel everything through the MAPS mib or will we still get alerts from both the MAPS mib and the other standard mib loaded on the switch, I need to know where to focus my attention in preparation for an initial launch of this into the ticketing system.  I want to avoid turning it on and then right back off because we get flooded with stuff we can’t take action on or have an understanding of. 

The MAPS mib seems to have one alert OID and that is it “mapsTrapAM”.  There is no separation of events that are sent off to the receiver. Are there more? Is the Brocade MIB's really needed? Or does it provide Brocade MAPS thresholds that are needed for fine tuning?

0 Likes
Highlighted
Acclaimed Contributor..

Hello,

the communication settings contains the timeout and retry settings. When you select one of those switches you can use the menu item Communication Settings to determine which setting is used.

You should ask your device supplier for the needed MIBs when you want to monitor something which is not currently covered by NNMi out of the box. SNMP traps are one part and MIB monitoring with the Custom Poller in NNMi is the other part.

HTH and kind regards

Allessandro

PS: Perhaps you can engage an HPE Software Implementation Partner in your region which can support you in setting up NNMi.

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.