1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Re: Need to know meaning of few services running in NPS

Jump to solution

Hi Jeveetha,

Let me answer right now on those I am familar with and I'll come back to you later on those I can't answer yet, which appears to have been introduced in version 10.20 of the Network Performance Server on Windows.

• NNM ISPI Performance Database 

This is the Sybase IQ Server service, Sybase IQ being the database hosting the metrics data that have been collected.

• NNM ISPI Performance DB SQL Rewrite Proxy service

This is the DB Proxy server service, responsible for intercepting the generic queries against virtual tables and rewrite them into queries against the DB actual fact tables/views, taking into account the Time Zone, and the required granularity, depending on the selected Time filter.

• NNM ISPI Performance ETL Server

This is the  Extract, Transform, Load service (ETL), responsible for

1. Deploying the Extension Packs coming with the iSPIs
  2. Retreiving the metrics data collected by the iSPIs
  3. Performing the metrics data summarization
  4. Loading the metrics data into Sybase IQ
  5. Calculating baseline
  6. Cleaning up the Sybase IQ according the retention parameters configured for each Extension Pack
  7. Cleaning up the log files according to the logs retention parameters.
  • NNM ISPI Performance Utility service

I assume this is the service responsible for running utilities such as "dbsize.ovpl -x", "cssize.ovpl -x" or any other kind of utilities that can be found in the logs as "Utility.<utility>" but this one seems to be new to 10.20 so I'll come back to you to get this confirm.

• HP Software Shared Trace Service

I'll come back to you later on this one as well, which appears not to be a NNM iSPI Performance for Metrics specific one.

• NNM ISPI Performance BI ContentStore Backup

This is the Sybase ASE database "Backup" service.

• NNM ISPI Performance BI ContentStore

This is the Sybase ASE Database Server which is hosting the Content Store, that is to say all the data that the BI Server needs to operate, such as:

1. The model/structure of each Extension Pack
  2. A detailed description of all the available reports
  3. All the information about the "scheduled" reports
  • NNM iSPI Performance Application Server Service

I'll come back to you later on this one.

• NNM ISPI Performance BI Server

The BI Service is the Graphical User Interface of the NPS, also called UiBi in a distributed NPS environment.
This is the one that needs to be up for you to be able to  access the NPS Console.

I hope this helps and will come back to you later on the services I could not comment on yet.

All the best

Marie-Noelle

Micro Focus Customer Support

If you find that this or any post resolves your issue, please be sure to mark it as an accepted solution.

If you are satisfied with anyone’s response please remember to give them KUDOS and show your appreciation.

View solution in original post

4 Replies
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Jump to solution

Hi Jeveetha,

Let me answer right now on those I am familar with and I'll come back to you later on those I can't answer yet, which appears to have been introduced in version 10.20 of the Network Performance Server on Windows.

• NNM ISPI Performance Database 

This is the Sybase IQ Server service, Sybase IQ being the database hosting the metrics data that have been collected.

• NNM ISPI Performance DB SQL Rewrite Proxy service

This is the DB Proxy server service, responsible for intercepting the generic queries against virtual tables and rewrite them into queries against the DB actual fact tables/views, taking into account the Time Zone, and the required granularity, depending on the selected Time filter.

• NNM ISPI Performance ETL Server

This is the  Extract, Transform, Load service (ETL), responsible for

1. Deploying the Extension Packs coming with the iSPIs
  2. Retreiving the metrics data collected by the iSPIs
  3. Performing the metrics data summarization
  4. Loading the metrics data into Sybase IQ
  5. Calculating baseline
  6. Cleaning up the Sybase IQ according the retention parameters configured for each Extension Pack
  7. Cleaning up the log files according to the logs retention parameters.
  • NNM ISPI Performance Utility service

I assume this is the service responsible for running utilities such as "dbsize.ovpl -x", "cssize.ovpl -x" or any other kind of utilities that can be found in the logs as "Utility.<utility>" but this one seems to be new to 10.20 so I'll come back to you to get this confirm.

• HP Software Shared Trace Service

I'll come back to you later on this one as well, which appears not to be a NNM iSPI Performance for Metrics specific one.

• NNM ISPI Performance BI ContentStore Backup

This is the Sybase ASE database "Backup" service.

• NNM ISPI Performance BI ContentStore

This is the Sybase ASE Database Server which is hosting the Content Store, that is to say all the data that the BI Server needs to operate, such as:

1. The model/structure of each Extension Pack
  2. A detailed description of all the available reports
  3. All the information about the "scheduled" reports
  • NNM iSPI Performance Application Server Service

I'll come back to you later on this one.

• NNM ISPI Performance BI Server

The BI Service is the Graphical User Interface of the NPS, also called UiBi in a distributed NPS environment.
This is the one that needs to be up for you to be able to  access the NPS Console.

I hope this helps and will come back to you later on the services I could not comment on yet.

All the best

Marie-Noelle

If you find that this or any post resolves your issue, please be sure to mark it as an accepted solution.

If you are satisfied with anyone’s response please remember to give them KUDOS and show your appreciation.

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Respected Contributor.
Respected Contributor.

Jump to solution

Hi Marieno,

Can you please update on this?

0 Likes
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Jump to solution

Hi Jeevitha,

Apologies for the delay coming back to you on this.

I have opened a case to the labs to get the remaining services clarified and will let you know when I'll have more information.

All the best

Marie-Noelle

0 Likes
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Jump to solution

Hi Jeevitha,

Sorry for the delay coming back to you on this.

Regarding the two remaining NNM iSPI Performance Services, I managed to get the following update:

The "NNM iSPI Performance Application Server Service" has been introduced for the Flexible Server Deployment (FSD) feature (distributed setup) so that the respective components could be installed on the relevant servers with a single installation point. However this service is no more used and may be retired in a futur version of the NNM iSPI Performance for Metrics.

The "NNM ISPI Performance Utility service" is used during NPS backup.

I have requested  the documentation to be enhanced to explain all theses services.

All the best

Marie-Noelle

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.