Highlighted
Honored Contributor.
Honored Contributor.

Nexus Switch Bug

Jump to solution

Cisco had identified a bug CSCuv68967 - SNMP Timeout on CISCO-RMON-CONFIG-MIB. When polling their is a SNMP timeout issue.

This issue doesn¹t affect all N5k platforms. This is seen with N5672-UP-16G, N5596Q, N5548Q, N5524Q and all other platforms in which the
SUP is shown as module 0 when executing the ‘show module’ command.

As a workaround we can avoid the 6 OIDs below in snmp queries where this issue has been observed:

How would I avoid polling these 6 OIDs.

Thanks

John

0 Likes
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Super Contributor.
Super Contributor.

Hi Dave

Thanks for your reply

It's certainly not a NNMi problem and all our other SNMP related tools had problems too. We have reported the issue with detailed Wireshark traces to Cisco and in the meantime the problem is widely known and they delivered already a stable SW.

Off course it would be cool if we could exclude specific OID's from the configuration poll e.g. for a defined Node group. But still we have many platforms manged by NNMi and this was the first time I've seen such issues,  it's rather low priority for me.

Cheers Thomas

View solution in original post

0 Likes
4 Replies
Highlighted
Acclaimed Contributor.
Acclaimed Contributor.

Hello John

Thanks for posting,

Sadly at this moment NNM does not have the capability to stop polling of specific OIDs. I found an ER that make reference to this:

https://softwaresupport.hpe.com/group/softwaresupport/search-result/-/facetsearch/document/LID/QCCR1B117868

My suggestion is look for a way to block them from the device itself.

Hope this helps,

Regards,

Vincent Montenegro Mena
Customer Support Engineer

If you find that this or any other post resolves your issue, please be sure to mark it as an accepted solution.
If you are satisfied with anyone’s response please remember to give them a KUDOS by clicking on the STAR at the bottom left of the post and show your appreciation.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Super Contributor.
Super Contributor.

We had this problem on the Nexus 5696 and 5624Q platform. NNMi was not even able to initially discover such devices and the configuration poll stopped. As a workouround I've created a Node Group containing these devices and set the SNMP timeout to the max of 59 Sec. Ever since NNMi is able to discover devices and its components, ...even still the configuration poll never comes to an end. Once it has been discovered the status poll seems to be no problem.

In the meantime we have started a SW livecycle on the affected platforms which has solved the issue.

Cheers Thomas

0 Likes
Highlighted
Acclaimed Contributor.
Acclaimed Contributor.

Thomas,

If you want this issue to be looked into then I would suggest opening a support case so that we can gather the necessary data and get a good understanding of what is going on and possibly what changes we could make to the product so that it can better handle this situation.  We may not be able to solve the problem if the agent has problems or is responding incorrectly but we may be able to ensuer the situation is handled appropriately and the configuration poll completes etc.

All the best

Dave Y

MicroFocus Support
Viewed the Support tips? Search for "(NNMi) Support Tips" and order by Date to get the list
The views expressed in my contributions are my own and do not necessarily reflect the views and strategy of MicroFocus
If you find this or any post resolves your issue, please be sure to mark it as an accepted solution.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Super Contributor.
Super Contributor.

Hi Dave

Thanks for your reply

It's certainly not a NNMi problem and all our other SNMP related tools had problems too. We have reported the issue with detailed Wireshark traces to Cisco and in the meantime the problem is widely known and they delivered already a stable SW.

Off course it would be cool if we could exclude specific OID's from the configuration poll e.g. for a defined Node group. But still we have many platforms manged by NNMi and this was the first time I've seen such issues,  it's rather low priority for me.

Cheers Thomas

View solution in original post

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.