Highlighted
Frequent Contributor.
Frequent Contributor.

Node Status Doesn't Change for Cisco RPS Failures

Hello,

I'm using Cisco switches, 3560X & 3750, and am receiving SNMPv3 traps for failed redundant power supplies. However, these traps are not changing the status & color of the node. The nodes are still green/normal. I have tried the following with no results:

1.  Modified the Enrichment tab within the SNMP Trap Configuration to critical. 

2. Tried setting a Custom Poller to affect Node Status with the MIB Expression "ciscoEnvMonSupplyState". I don't know what else to add to this expression.

Does anyone have any experience or insight on how I can change the node color/status on the NNMi topology?

0 Likes
6 Replies
Highlighted
Acclaimed Contributor.. Acclaimed Contributor..
Acclaimed Contributor..

Re: Node Status Doesn't Change for Cisco RPS Failures

Hello,

SNMP Traps do not change the color in NNMi. You can write a script which is run an an action for the incident. Give the script the node id, the status to set and a conclusion name. With this information the script calls the web service of NNMi and sets the given conclusion with this status. The result is, that the node is set to this status (if the status is the highest status of all conclusions of that node).

HTH and kind regards

Allessandro

0 Likes
Highlighted
Acclaimed Contributor..

Just another comment to the idea:

you should add a function to set the conclusion back to "NORMAL", when the incident is closed.

BR Allessandro

0 Likes
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor.
Frequent Contributor.

Thank you. I'll give it a shot and let you know how it goes. Not familiar with the scripting so it might take me a bit.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Honored Contributor.. Honored Contributor..
Honored Contributor..

Hello,

Are the RPSes discovered as physical sensors? If "YES", make sure that you are running latest device driver pack (if NNMi version is 10.10 or later). Cisco P/S monitoring got some improvements in recent DDPs.

BR,

Vesko.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor.
Frequent Contributor.

System Information window shows that I'm using NNMi 10.50 and I'm not sure how to verify if they are discovered as physical sensors. I have noticed the following though:

• Nexus 3k & 5k's work just fine
  • Cisco 3560X is using SNMP OID .1.3.6.1.4.9.9.13.3.0.5 of which I was able to use a custom poller and filter to change node status
  •  Cisco 3750X is using SNMP OID .1.3.6.1.4.9.9.117.2.0.4 of which custom poller didn't work because of an error stating it is a "scalar mib". I have also noticed that neither of the PS's are read as an RPS. For example, I see PS1 - Normal RPS - Not Exist, PS2 - Normal RPS - Not Exist.

I understand that scripts as an action under the SNMP traps is likely to resolve this however I am extremely lacking on scripting experience. I haven't been able to find any templates or examples of any sort on how to build a script that can affect node status.

Thank you for the reply.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Acclaimed Contributor..

Hello,

if NNMi supports your devices in terms of PS monitoring, it takes care about detecting and setting the status. To determine if your devices are supported you need the SysObjectIDs (Node Form, General Tab). Check them against the device Support Matrix (which is part of the Device Driver Pack Download https://marketplace.microfocus.com/itom/content/device-driver-packs-for-nnmi). If the column "Node Components - Physical Sensors" contains a "P", then PS are supported. An example in the March 2018 pack is ciscoCat3560x48, 1.3.6.1.4.1.9.1.122, FPT (Fan, Power, Temperature).

The devices then should have Physical Sensors in the discovered chassis and if the monitoring settings are enabled, then the PS should been polled.

If the device is currently not supported, you can send a request to MF.

In the meantime you have two options to set the status color for the nodes:

1. You setup a Custom Poller collection (check the box to effect the node status when thresholds are breached)

2. You use SNMP Traps from the nodes with an action script as I described.

Unfurtunately I cannot share the script here as it was created in a customer engagement. I have shared the idea and can add some hints about it:

It is written in Perl (as Perl comes with NNMi and works on Windows and on UX). It uses LWP::UserAgent and HTTP::Request (already there with Perl in NNMi) to talk to the NNMi Web Service (NodeBean with getConclusions and addConclusions). But you can use curl for the web service requests, too. You will find some examples about the XML data in this forum and there is an ITOM blog entry about this. While you develope your script you might recognize, that you have to check for the existence of your conclusion as simple adding it, removes an existent one without adding it again (so 2x adding adds it finally ...).

HTH and kind regards

Allessandro

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.