Absent Member.. plindahl Absent Member..
Absent Member..

Node group based on ifOperStatus = up

Hi,

I've been looking for quite some time now. For a way to create a node group that holds all nodes but only interfaces that have ifOperStatus=Up. I've been trying to make it work using costumAttrName and Value. Is there anyone who has done this before? 

The reason to why I want to do this is because I want to performancePoll all interfaces that are up and the exclude types/nodes that shouldn't be polled. We are currently polling performance on ~6500 interfaces but it should be around 20k of them (total 300k). Why not poll for everything? That will flod the NOC and BSM server with a lot of interface warnings and create a huge que in NNM.

Is there any com.hp.nnm.if.OperStatus ... custom attribute that I can use?

Any help with this would be very helpful.

0 Likes
6 Replies
Absent Member.. Thuanvd Absent Member..
Absent Member..

Re: Node group based on ifOperStatus = up

Hello,

DId you consider turn off the option "Poll Unconnected Interfaces" and also "Poll Interfaces Hosting IP Addresses".

Please refer Online Help with these keyword for more details.

Best Regards,

--------------HP Support--------------
If you find that this or any post resolves your issue, please be sure to mark it as an accepted solution.
0 Likes
Acclaimed Contributor.. AndyKemp Acclaimed Contributor..
Acclaimed Contributor..

Well yes there is someone who has done this before.... for years, but its version dependant.

Two commands: For  9.2  I believe you can use under the support directory the command "nnmPollInterfaces.ovpl" to add a custom attribute that will do exactly what you're looking to do.

For previous versions theres a less functional hotfix available that introduces a similar command "nnmcheckUnconnectedInterfaces.ovpl"  .. the problem is that when you upgrade to 9.2 the capibilities are removed from the device every time its rediscovered.

Have a nice day 🙂

Andy Kemp
I've lasted longer in the technology industry than most certifications.
0 Likes
furiouswombat
New Member.

Hi

Not sure if this is any use to us but we wanted to poll all "connected" interfaces.

We have a cron that runs every 24 hours but could be more regular depending on the number of devices you manage.

Cron script below with sleeps to give it a chance to finish one group before starting another group. You dont have to do all the NodeGroups either.

/opt/OV/support/nnmPollInterfaces.ovpl -nodeGroup "Networking Infrastructure Devices" -ifAdminStatus UP -connectionStatus CONNECTED

sleep 30

/opt/OV/support/nnmPollInterfaces.ovpl -nodeGroup Routers -ifAdminStatus UP -connectionStatus CONNECTED

sleep 30

/opt/OV/support/nnmPollInterfaces.ovpl -nodeGroup Switches -ifAdminStatus UP -connectionStatus CONNECTED

I then created an interface group called ConnectedInterfaces where the additional filter tab had this in it.

capability = com.hp.nmm.iface.admin_connnection.status.connected.up

Then under the monitoring configuration > Interface settings create a new line using the Interface group ConnectedInterfaces and poll what you fancy.

ramesh9 Acclaimed Contributor.
Acclaimed Contributor.

Hi

It is a wonderful approach.

Please let us know the number of devices you manage in your environment and what is the polling period you had set.

At any given day also please let us know how much interfaces are been polled.

0 Likes
Acclaimed Contributor.. AndyKemp Acclaimed Contributor..
Acclaimed Contributor..

Mine is a bit out of the ordinary:  24,000 devices and we poll at a five minute interval.   We poll on average ~200K interfaces every 5 minutes.

Have a nice day 🙂

Andy Kemp
I've lasted longer in the technology industry than most certifications.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Hello,

I think when we are talking about interface monitoring based on some interface attribute it is better to create and use

Interface groups, not Node groups. An interface/node group created based on ifOperStatus could be highly dynamic. It could be also a performance killer. If you end up with some flapping interfaces changing its status from Up to Down and again to UP every few seconds NNMi would spend lots of resources to recalculate a group. Also, to recalculate a group it actually needs to poll  ifOperStatus constantly. Let's say ifOperStatus is changed for some interface to Down and the interface was included in the group. Now, in 1h ifOperStatus went UP again. How NNMi would not about this ? The interface is not polled. Even LinkUp/LinkDown traps will be ignored for unmanaged interfaces.  It means NNMi has no idea about changing ifOperStatus. I believe there might be some other issues with such monitoring aproach.

You can create an interface group based on ifAdminStatus (disabled interfaces) . All Disabled interfaces in NNMi has a capability com.hp.nnm.capability.iface.admin.down (NNMi 9.20 and later) . You can create an interface group using the capability where all disabled interfaces  are icluded or excluded using the following

filter

EXISTS

capability like *iface.admin.down

Filter String

EXISTS (capability like *iface.admin.down)

For excluding use "NOT EXISTS".

The capability com.hp.nnm.capability.iface.admin.down is set by the configuration poll.
So, it may take  up to 24h before it is set after the interface was disabled. It is not a problem
if an interface was disabled for a long time. If some interface is getting disabled/enabled
frequently, then it could be some issue. The only other approach I can see is to create
a script/action which would be triggered by InterfaceDisabled incident. The script would run

nnmconfigpoll.ovpl on the device which will set or remove the capabilty as needed.

You can still try to create an interface group based on ifOperStatus. Create a script/action for InterfaceDown incident. The script would use nnmloadattributes.ovpl to create a custom attribute for a down interface. The value and/or the name of this attribute can be used when creating an interface group. When an interface goes Up again this must  trigger another script for closing state which would remove the custom attribute from the interface using nnmdeleteattributes.ovpl.  However, if an interface is not managed in down state, how NNMi would know that an interface is UP again ? You would probably have to enable LinkUp/LinkDown traps and configure an auto action for LinkUP which would remove an attribute from the interrface allowing NNMi to monitor an interface again. I cannot see any problem to implement this to create an interface group. You just need to carefully create  monitoring using that group.  This might work fine unless your network would end up at some point with flapping interfaces. Flapping interfaces need to be unmanaged.

Best regards,

Sergey

Sergey Pankratov
NNMi Support

The views expressed in my contributions are my own and do not necessarily reflect the views and strategy of HPE
If you find this or any post resolves your issue, please be sure to mark it as an accepted solution.
If you are satisfied with anyone’s response please remember
to give them a KUDOS and show your appreciation
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.