Highlighted
Absent Member.. Absent Member..
Absent Member..

Node groups and inheritance

Jump to solution

Hi

Is it possible to have child node groups inherit filters from parent groups? I have been trying to find information about this, but have not found anything regarding inheritance. I found some information indicating that it is usefull to build hierarchies of node groups, but if I understand this correctly all the child groups in our setup would require a more specific filter (and a subset of parent filter) than the parent group. This in turn would lead to a high amount of node groups with slight variations in the filters.

So basically I would like to set up multiple kind of similar views, but don't want to have to create huge amounts of nodegroups to acheive this. (I suppose it might be possible to script it) I would prefer to set this up with inheritance though as that makes for  easier setup and maintainance. 

For instance I would want to have  topology maps on multiple device categories for multiple security groups. I did some testing with this and it will work after a fashion using a node group for a device type as a child group for a group defined for a security group. The maps and groups will be displayed correctly for users with limited access to the specific user group, but as it don't inherit from parent the view will not work correctly for users with access to multiple security groups.

Do you have any suggestions how to solve this?

Regards

H

0 Likes
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Acclaimed Contributor.
Acclaimed Contributor.

Re: Node groups and inheritance

Jump to solution

Hello Screen_name1

Thanks for posting

Sadly we have not implemented inheritance in the filters we normally use in a node group (parent or child) as additional filter or additional nodes.

But you can specify any filter in the child groups.

I think this can be considered as an enhancement request.

Hope this helps,

Regards,

Vincent Montenegro Mena
Customer Support Engineer

If you find that this or any other post resolves your issue, please be sure to mark it as an accepted solution.
If you are satisfied with anyone’s response please remember to give them a KUDOS by clicking on the STAR at the bottom left of the post and show your appreciation.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
3 Replies
Highlighted
Acclaimed Contributor.
Acclaimed Contributor.

Jump to solution

Hello Screen_name1

Thanks for posting

Sadly we have not implemented inheritance in the filters we normally use in a node group (parent or child) as additional filter or additional nodes.

But you can specify any filter in the child groups.

I think this can be considered as an enhancement request.

Hope this helps,

Regards,

Vincent Montenegro Mena

If you find that this or any other post resolves your issue, please be sure to mark it as an accepted solution.
If you are satisfied with anyone’s response please remember to give them a KUDOS by clicking on the STAR at the bottom left of the post and show your appreciation.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.. Absent Member..
Absent Member..

Jump to solution

Hi Vincent

Thanks for quick reply. Hopefully this can be added as a feature in the future. Untill then I will see if I can use nnmnodegroup.ovpl to automate some of the nodegroup creation.

Regards

H

0 Likes
Highlighted
Acclaimed Contributor.
Acclaimed Contributor.

Jump to solution

Hello Screen_name1

Yes, you can use the nnmnodegroup.ovpl to start the node group creation. I would like to ask you to open a support case in order to create this ER for you.

Also if you do not have any other concern please mark this post as Solution Accepted.

Have a wonderful day,

Regards,

Vincent Montenegro Mena

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.