Highlighted
Trusted Contributor.. Trusted Contributor..
Trusted Contributor..

Ping Latency in NNM for Non-SNMP devices

Hi all,

I'd like to threshold latency between our NNM host and a non-snmp node. i thought it would be as simple as creating a node group for the non-snmp device and configuring ICMP response time threshold in Monitoring Configuration>Node Settings. But that doesn’t seem to be the case.

All my searching has pointed to needing IPSLA set up or Ping Latency Pairs but these both require a managed snmp device. In Sitescope it was as simple as a deploying a ping monitor and setting a threshold.

Am i missing a trick here?

Thanks in advance.

0 Likes
2 Replies
Highlighted
Outstanding Contributor.. Outstanding Contributor..
Outstanding Contributor..

Re: Ping Latency in NNM for Non-SNMP devices

Hi, 

yes, NNMi can't monitor non-SNMP nodes response time.

network latency specifics is that it occurs in both directions, can be monitored one-way from source to destination (SD) and opposite DS (what's why SNMP and iPSLA are needed) . Both way latency is round-trip-time (RTT). In case RTT is good for you I'd suggest iRA (part of  iSPI QA). You can run iRA  ICMP probes from NNMi server to non-snmp nodes and get RTTmetric.

regards,
Gedas

P.S.  you might want to resister Enhancement request for NNMi to enable collection or ICMP response time of non-snmp nodes.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Respected Contributor.
Respected Contributor.

Re: Ping Latency in NNM for Non-SNMP devices

You can have iSPI Performance Metrics as an option,

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.