Our vBulletin migration is complete.
Welcome vBulletin users! All content and user information from the Micro Focus Forums (vBulletin) site has been migrated to this site. READ MORE.
Respected Contributor.. Jeff1219 Respected Contributor..
Respected Contributor..

SNMP Communication settings

Running Ver 9.23 on Linux.

We are updaing SNMP versions on switches from v2 to v3.  Once a device has been discovered and is communicating with SNMP v2 is there a way to update the node to use v3 settings without deleting and rediscovering?  I don't want to create entries on the 'Specific Node Settings' tab in Communication Configuration, we have several hunderd devices to update.

Thanks.

0 Likes
4 Replies
Vincent_M_NNM Acclaimed Contributor.
Acclaimed Contributor.

Re: SNMP Communication settings

Hello Jeff

Thanks for your question,

When NNMi uses SNMPv3 to communicate with a device, it uses a discovery process to identify the Engine ID, boot count, and engine time of the device. NNMi then uses this information, along with the configured user and protocol details, to start sending messages to the device by default NNM tries v1 - v2 first, that is why  you have to  unset all the v2 configuratio to avoid the commmunication using that protocol.

Using the discovery process NNM will start the communication with the nodes using SNMPv3 as communication protocol, I mean NNM is going to detect that it has lost the connection with a device, NNM is going to check the configuration verifying if there was a change related to the node, during the configuration poll NNM should be able to identify this new configuration and it have to use this configuration to create the communication with the node.

NNM as you know has an autodiscovery process which is going to do the same analysis explained previously,

Hope this information helps you,

Regards,

Vincent Montenegro Mena
Customer Support Engineer

If you find that this or any other post resolves your issue, please be sure to mark it as an accepted solution.
If you are satisfied with anyone’s response please remember to give them a KUDOS by clicking on the STAR at the bottom left of the post and show your appreciation.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.. Walinton Absent Member..
Absent Member..

Hello Jeff

The best and recommended option is to disable SNMPv2c or v1 from the device itself, as this will prevent any connections to it using that version. If configured correctly, then NNMi will switch to v3 on the next discovery cycle, or you can force it with a Configuration Poll.

If that's not an option, you will need to create a Communication Settings Region that includes theses nodes, and within that Region permit v3 only.

Regards,

HP Support
If you find that this or any post resolves your issue, please be sure to mark it as an accepted solution.
0 Likes
Dave Young Acclaimed Contributor.
Acclaimed Contributor.

Just to clarify Walinton's point, NNMi will prefer to use SNMP v2 and then v1 before it tries SNMP v3.  Therefore if the device is still responding to v2 or v1 this protocol will be selected.  Therefore you need to either

* Stop the device from talking v2 or v1

* Configure NNMi in such a way that it will only try v3 - this could be a region configuration or a node configuration

where the minimum SNMP level should be v3.

If you have to fall back to creating specific node entries then consider using the command line tool ( nnmcommload.ovpl )  and input the details via a configuration file that could be created more easily than trying to use the UI.

All the best

Dave Y

MicroFocus Support
Viewed the Support tips? Search for "(NNMi) Support Tips" and order by Date to get the list
The views expressed in my contributions are my own and do not necessarily reflect the views and strategy of MicroFocus
If you find this or any post resolves your issue, please be sure to mark it as an accepted solution.
0 Likes
David Campeau Absent Member.
Absent Member.

I remember having this issue some time ago when we started moving all of our ASA's to snmpv3. The issue was I didn't want to have to delete and re-add every node that was converted, and I found a way to where I don't have to.

1. To the point of others that said this... Make sure snmpv2c or 1 is no longer in the configuration on the node, and that only snmpv3 is accepted.

2. In NNM set the "SNMP Minimum Security Level" to Community

3. Create a snmpv3 Region  << This is important. Make sure the SNMP Minimum Security Level is set ot the exact specification in your environment. In the region, make sure to reference the SNMPv3 Settings tab, and select from the dropdown, your specific SNMPv3 setting.

So, what happens at this point, is when the configuration changes, the node shows up in NNM non normal nodes as unable to communicate via snmp. At this point 1 of 2 things will happen to correct the issue.

1. Manual configuration poll will then re-discover the node as snmpv3.

2. Wait until the next NNM rediscovery, and it will re-discover the node as snmpv3.

Either way you won't need to delete and re-add the node.

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.