Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

SNMP Not Responding Incident in NNMi

Hi All,

We have many devices with SNMP enabled. But sometimes the SNMP agent in most of the devices will be down. So,when agent goes down,we don't receive any alert in NNMi.
Checking each and every device for the problem is very tedious. So, if we get the incident saying SNMP agent down in the console is more appropriate and helpful. Could you please tell me how can we create this incident or what is the solution?

Regards,
Michel
0 Likes
12 Replies
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: SNMP Not Responding Incident in NNMi

I am using NNMi 8.13
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.. Absent Member..
Absent Member..

The NNMi server should be polling the snmp devices if they are configured in NNMi and should notify via the management event configuration (node down)
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

😞

Did HP get rid of SNMPAgentDown? As in- a previously snmp-enabled node responds to ICMP but not SNMP requests. My NNMi shows this as "Node down" also- I disabled all UDP traffic with firewall and I got a "node down" from a switch that still responded via ping.

We should definitely put another enhancement request in for this- if this is the case. NodeAdded and SubnetAdded are missing from NNMi also- all 3 of these events are real losses going to the new version.

Can anyone else confirm any of this?

Michel- this is def. scriptable if you really need it. Loop through your node list with a cmd like "snmpwalk system.sysUpTime" - if it doesn't return a time value you can mark the agent as down in some ouput/report.

aaron

0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Hi,

I think you can write a script for this.
Configuration>Incident Configuration>Management Event Configuration>Node Down(Open this)>Action Configuration>Add your script here
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Node down would be if the node isn't responding to ICMP also. I guess you could use "Address Down" event and try to ping the node in the script to verify that it is an snmp issue. Nice idea

-a
0 Likes
Highlighted
Honored Contributor.
Honored Contributor.

Hi,

I have the same problem. I only got incidents about "Address Not Responding". Not receving any incidents about interface/node/connection up or down.

Anyone can help me solve this.

Thanks so much.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Hi All,

We have the same issue as Michel has pointed out. We are running v8.13 patch 8. The only thing I see is the conclusion made by the causal engine of 'UnresponsiveAgentInNode.' I can't possibly check every node for this each day. Has anyone scripted a solution that they could share with me? Ideally, I'd like a simple list that could be generated and e-mailed daily.

Thanks in advance!
0 Likes
Highlighted
Established Member..
Established Member..

Hi

We have the same issue. We have recently moved to NNM9i and one of the nodes stopped responding to snmp but we got no alarm. The node did change status but no incident.

The idea of writing a script seem to defeat the whole idea of using NNM.

We are still running NNM 7.51 and it generates "snmp not responding event" for the node. It looks a very basic event, We are at version 9 and HP still did not fix it?????

Does anybody have any idea where is HP with this?

Cheers

Elad

0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.. Absent Member..
Absent Member..

NNM 9.10. has an SNMP Agent not responding event.
Don't know for NNMi 9.0

0 Likes
Highlighted
Acclaimed Contributor.. Acclaimed Contributor..
Acclaimed Contributor..

Its been present from 8.10 that I know of, its a management event "SNMPAgentNotResponding .1.3.6.1.4.1.11.2.17.19.2.0.70"  but its severity is OTB "minor".

Have a nice day 🙂

Andy Kemp
I've lasted longer in the technology industry than most certifications.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

This is known issue with nnm 8.1 see defect number http://support.openview.hp.com/selfsolve/document/KM855144 you need patch 9 for nnm 8.1

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.