Highlighted
Regular Contributor.. Regular Contributor..
Regular Contributor..

SNMP v3 in NNM 10.21

Jump to solution

Hi all,

it is just an informational post.

We have NNM 10.00 (patch level 3) and the use of SNMP v3 has to be forced by setting a specific region for SNMP v3 network devices.

We would like to know if the latest versions (10.21 or also 10.20) of NNM are able to discover SNMP v3 and in general which protocol to use (i.e. without the need of specific settings as the regions).

Thank you very much in advance,

Angelo

0 Likes
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Acclaimed Contributor.
Acclaimed Contributor.

Re: SNMP v3 in NNM 10.21

Jump to solution

Angelo,

Yes my system has a default snmpv2 configuration entry and is managing v2 devices.   In this situation it is important to remember that NNMi will prioritise v2 and v1 communication over v3.  In other words it will test all the v2/v1 community strings first before it tries any v3 configurations.  This means that either:

the v3 device must stop responding to v1/v2 requests - which makes sense since you are implementing and migrating to v3   or

none of the configured v2/v1 community strings should be supported on the device.

If this is not the case then the device will be discovered and snmpv2/v1 will be used.  An easy solution here is to ensure if v2 can't be turned off on the device that it is reconfigured to use a community string that is not configured into NNMi.

Hope this helps

Dave Y

MicroFocus Support
Viewed the Support tips? Search for "(NNMi) Support Tips" and order by Date to get the list
The views expressed in my contributions are my own and do not necessarily reflect the views and strategy of MicroFocus
If you find this or any post resolves your issue, please be sure to mark it as an accepted solution.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
5 Replies
Highlighted
Acclaimed Contributor.
Acclaimed Contributor.

Jump to solution

Angelo,

All the NNMi 10.x versions allow you to discover and communicate with SNMP v3 devices.  You should be able to add a set of v3 settings at the default level, the region or the node specific.   An important point to remember is that NNMi will check SNMP v2, then v1 and finally v3.  So you need to ensure that the node does not respond to v1 or v2 otherwise these will take precedence.

All the best

Dave Y

MicroFocus Support
Viewed the Support tips? Search for "(NNMi) Support Tips" and order by Date to get the list
The views expressed in my contributions are my own and do not necessarily reflect the views and strategy of MicroFocus
If you find this or any post resolves your issue, please be sure to mark it as an accepted solution.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Regular Contributor..

Jump to solution

Hi Dave,

thank you very much for your reply.

the fact is that, after a certain number of tests with version 10.00 (patch level 3), we came to the point that SNMP v3 devices are not discovered at default level. Only setting of a region allows us to manage them.

Do you know if versions 10.20 or 10.21 manage SNMP v3 at default level (ok that no v2 or v1 are enabled)? This is very important to us also in order to push our customer to product upgrade.

Thank you very much again and best regards,

Angelo

0 Likes
Highlighted
Acclaimed Contributor.
Acclaimed Contributor.

Jump to solution

Angelo,

I just double checked my 10.21 system and configured a v3 entry in the default settings and then discovered my v3 router and all worked fine.   So I would recommend an upgrade to 10.21 for this issue.

All the best

Dave Y

MicroFocus Support
0 Likes
Highlighted
Regular Contributor..

Jump to solution

Hi Dave,

thank you very much. I just have to ask you if your system NNMi 10.21 is managing devices v2 at default level, together with the one v3 you successfully added. This because our environment contains thousand of v2 devices and the migration to v3 will not be done in one or few shots. So we have to be sure that NNMi can manage both v2 and v3 together, at default level.

Thank you very much again and best regards,

Angelo

0 Likes
Highlighted
Acclaimed Contributor.
Acclaimed Contributor.

Jump to solution

Angelo,

Yes my system has a default snmpv2 configuration entry and is managing v2 devices.   In this situation it is important to remember that NNMi will prioritise v2 and v1 communication over v3.  In other words it will test all the v2/v1 community strings first before it tries any v3 configurations.  This means that either:

the v3 device must stop responding to v1/v2 requests - which makes sense since you are implementing and migrating to v3   or

none of the configured v2/v1 community strings should be supported on the device.

If this is not the case then the device will be discovered and snmpv2/v1 will be used.  An easy solution here is to ensure if v2 can't be turned off on the device that it is reconfigured to use a community string that is not configured into NNMi.

Hope this helps

Dave Y

MicroFocus Support

View solution in original post

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.