Highlighted
Acclaimed Contributor.. Acclaimed Contributor..
Acclaimed Contributor..

SNMP v3 problems after upgrading to 10.10!

Jump to solution

Hi,

After a recent upgrade from NNMi 10.0 to 10.10 on Linux, we have just realized that we have problems communicating with our SNMP v3 agents! 

The upgrade took place by backing up everything on the old 10.0 installation on server A, restoring this on 10.0 on a new server B and finally upgrading server B to 10.10. In case this method is relevant to our problems.

Just as before, we force NNMi to use SNMP v3 for those relatively few devices this applies to, by means of using a region-setting for them under Communication Configuration. This setting is perfectly identical to what existed on the old server, as even this was included in the backup/restore-image mentioned above.

When trying to seed such an SNMP v3 node to NNMi, we get an error message in nnm.log:

2016-12-19 13:45:56.859 WARNING [com.hp.ov.snmp.v3.EngineParameterDiscoveryHandler] [10.1.2.3] Failed SNMPv3 Engine Parameter Discovery, unable to get engine authentication parameters. No varbinds returned in response to SNMPv3 Discovery request

When run nnmsnmpwalk.ovl towards such as node:
nnmsnmpwalk.ovpl -v 3 -v3u theusername the_node_fqdn

I also get a similar error message: 
No varbinds returned in response to SNMPv3 Discovery request

Any ideas? Either on what this message indicates or how to troubleshoot. I have limited SNMP v3 experience, unfortunately.

Thanks,
Frank Mortensen

0 Likes
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Acclaimed Contributor.
Acclaimed Contributor.

Re: SNMP v3 problems after upgrading to 10.10!

Jump to solution

Frank,

I tested out my NNMi 10.10 P2 system and an nnmsnmpwalk.ovpl worked to my cisco router using v3.  

You may need to open a case, but I would be interested to see a tcpdump or wireshark trace of an snmpwalk to your device.   If you view the trace in wireshark you can put the device credentials into wireshark and it will be able to decode the packets (*)  and show you whats going on.   This may help to understand the problem.

(*)   Edit -> Preferences -> Protocols -> SNMP   
       click on Users Table  Edit
       "Add"   and enter the engine ID ( from the trace ), the username and the auth/priv details.
       click on OK and the packets should then be displayed in a decoded manner.

Hope this helps.  Unfortunately I am now out until the new year.

Good luck !

Dave Y

MicroFocus Support
Viewed the Support tips? Search for "(NNMi) Support Tips" and order by Date to get the list
The views expressed in my contributions are my own and do not necessarily reflect the views and strategy of MicroFocus
If you find this or any post resolves your issue, please be sure to mark it as an accepted solution.

View solution in original post

5 Replies
Highlighted
Trusted Contributor.
Trusted Contributor.

Jump to solution

Hi Frank,

Is this happend with all SNMPv3 devices or some special SNMPv3 device?

Did you check again the authentication configure in NNMi for SNMPv3 after upgrade to higher version? Have you tried to remove and re-add this SNMPv3 node or not?

Any hotfix installed on your system? Kindly share with me the nnm log attach in here then I can check and help you.

“Regards,

Nga Do Thi Tuyet | SW Technical Support
Network Node Manager
Hewlett-Packard (SSO Portal)

If you find that this or any other post resolves your issue, please be sure to mark it as an accepted solution.
If you are satisfied with anyone’s response please remember to give them a KUDOS by clicking on the STAR at the bottom left of the post and show your appreciation.”
0 Likes
Highlighted
Acclaimed Contributor..

Jump to solution

Hi

It applies to ALL SNMP v3 nodes. We have tried to delete the nodes an seed them and we have not been able to make it work.

I have added the SNMP-credentials etc. again today, and even created a new regional setting for these nodes under SNMP communicaiton settings, but so far no luck. I will troubleshoot more around this.

The exact version is:

NNM 10.10.543,10.10.002
NNM Patch: NNM1010_00002

We i.e. have patch 2 installed, but not hotfixes except for that.

Cheers,
Frank

0 Likes
Highlighted
Acclaimed Contributor.
Acclaimed Contributor.

Jump to solution

Frank,

I tested out my NNMi 10.10 P2 system and an nnmsnmpwalk.ovpl worked to my cisco router using v3.  

You may need to open a case, but I would be interested to see a tcpdump or wireshark trace of an snmpwalk to your device.   If you view the trace in wireshark you can put the device credentials into wireshark and it will be able to decode the packets (*)  and show you whats going on.   This may help to understand the problem.

(*)   Edit -> Preferences -> Protocols -> SNMP   
       click on Users Table  Edit
       "Add"   and enter the engine ID ( from the trace ), the username and the auth/priv details.
       click on OK and the packets should then be displayed in a decoded manner.

Hope this helps.  Unfortunately I am now out until the new year.

Good luck !

Dave Y

MicroFocus Support
Viewed the Support tips? Search for "(NNMi) Support Tips" and order by Date to get the list
The views expressed in my contributions are my own and do not necessarily reflect the views and strategy of MicroFocus
If you find this or any post resolves your issue, please be sure to mark it as an accepted solution.

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Jump to solution
Hi Frank, Is there anything else we could help you with on this discussion thread? If not, would you mind marking the most appropriate post as Accepted Solution so that we could close this discussion thread? This is because we are periodically reviewing the Open discussion threads to determine if any help is expected further. When it is no more the case, the best is to close the discussion thread by marking the most appropriate post as Accepted solution. I may proceed and do so myself if no more activity is observed on this topic after a couple of days but the best would be for you to do it yourself if no more help is expected here. Many Thanks Marie-Noelle
Micro Focus Customer Support

If you find that this or any post resolves your issue, please be sure to mark it as an accepted solution.

If you are satisfied with anyone’s response please remember to give them KUDOS and show your appreciation.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Acclaimed Contributor..

Jump to solution

Hi, and thanks for the reminder.

I don't work for this customer anymore, so I will leave the status of the case like it is. They will most probably need to open a regular support case to solve it, but I think they actually worked around it for the relatively few devices it applied to, by enabling SNMP v2c on them.

Cheers,
Frank

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.