Highlighted
Respected Contributor.
Respected Contributor.

SNMPv3 Traps failed to parse because Unknown engine id

Hello, 

we have some troubles to receive snmp v3 traps from a host.

If connected directly the host on laptop with a standard trap receiver software everything is ok. Traps are send. And the traps receiver software can decode snmp traps.

With NNM it doesn’t work. There is no filtering on the network (lab environment) and the cisco router who support the host is configured in snmpv3 (we do monitoring and receive traps in V3).

If we generate traps, we don’t receive anything check with tcpdump and nnmtrapdump.ovpl. And nothing seems to be send by the host (verify with wireshark capture on mirroring port on router) but in log we have those messages.

2019-08-01 16:47:04.200 AVERTISSEMENT [com.hp.ov.nms.trapd.NMTrapData] Failed to parse trap from /10.10.10.10: Unknown engine id

2019-08-01 16:47:04.200 INFOS [com.hp.ov.nms.trapd.pipeline.remote.InformRelayImpl] Forwarding Inform: /10.10.10.10

2019-08-01 16:47:07.334 AVERTISSEMENT [com.hp.ov.nms.topo.spi.server.concurrent.NmsTimerTaskImpl] Skipping task execution because previous execution has not completed: com.hp.ov.nnm.na.im.NnmClient$ConnectionCheckerTask@400c8c10

2019-08-01 16:47:24.325 AVERTISSEMENT [com.hp.ov.nms.trapd.NMTrapData] Failed to parse trap from /10.10.10.10: Unknown engine id

2019-08-01 16:47:24.325 INFOS [com.hp.ov.nms.trapd.pipeline.remote.InformRelayImpl] Forwarding Inform: /10.10.10.10

I don’t know snmp v3 very well but from what I understand with NNMi (10.20 patch 😎 if monitoring is by SNMPv3 NNMi learn by itself host engineId.

It weird for me it seems to me, that the host have the intelligence to do not send traps because the initiation with NNM failed. (maybe the informs send by NNM to warn the host … I don’t know ) I never eared about it, but like I said I have so much to learn about SNMPv3 protocol.

No issue with monitoring (I have also tried some custom poller and it works)

I was delete node and recreate it but nothing change.

We don’t have the abilities to “downgrade” to a lower version of SNMP, the host have the do only snmpv3 and no able to change to a noAuth “mode” either (only priv mode)

If you have any guesses, or more efficient test protocol it would be great

Forgive my approximate English, I am French.

Best regards

Tags (4)
0 Likes
3 Replies
Highlighted
Trusted Contributor.
Trusted Contributor.

Re: SNMPv3 Traps failed to parse because Unknown engine id

Hi,

Please follow this pdf. I had the same issue and it is resolved now by following this guide.

https://community.softwaregrp.com/dcvta86296/attachments/dcvta86296/itrc-165/159091/1/SNMPv3AndNNMi.pdf

0 Likes
Highlighted
Trusted Contributor.
Trusted Contributor.

Also, pull a wireshark TCP dump to get know the Engine ID.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Respected Contributor.
Respected Contributor.

Hello, thanks for your reply!

I found a Technical white paper today named SNMPv3 and NNMi à small introduction to SNMPv3 and how it works with Network Node manager

And there is a complete description about how nnm and node exchange data ...

So I planed today yo restart a full rediscover with an active tcp dump to compare if I have the same process ....

I let you know

Best regards
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.