Highlighted
Regular Contributor.
Regular Contributor.

Selective monitoring (NNM 10)

Good day NNM gurus!

Can NNM monitor specific interfaces on a switch? We have a HP 5130 series switch and I want to monitor interfaces that are connected to the servers and not on users.

1. Would it be possible and how?

2. Can the "description" portion on the switch configuration appear at the "message" pane on the incidents page?

(not "Interface Down" and instead "Interface Down at Link to Core Switch D" -- or something like that phrase)

Thank You!

0 Likes
2 Replies
Highlighted
Acclaimed Contributor.
Acclaimed Contributor.

Re: Selective monitoring (NNM 10)

Hi there,

By default NNMi monitors all connected interfaces.  So if the interface is connected within the topology it should be monitored.  It is also possible to extend this monitoring by creating interface groups that contain the interfaces you want monitored and then to create a monitoring configuration for that group.  How you create the group is flexible.  It can be based on a number of attributes including the value of the ifAlias, a customer Attribute that you load onto the interface, and many more aspects of the interface.

To answer the second question the answer is yes.  You can create the message using a number of variables that are associated with the source node and source object ( if there is one ) of the trap.  For interfaces you could use $ifDescr or $ifAlias.    For a full list check out the reference page on your system:

https://<nnmi_server>/nnmDocs_en/htmlHelp/nmHelp/Subsystems/nmAdminHelp/Content/nmAdminHelp/nmAdmConfInci0841MsgFormatParams.htm?SearchType=Stem&Highlight=validates|validated|valid|validation|validate||parameters|parameter||for||configuration|Configuring|configure|configures|configured|configuring|Configurations|configurable|Configuration|configurations||incident|Incidents|Incident||message|Messages|messages|Message

All the best

Dave Y

MicroFocus Support
Viewed the Support tips? Search for "(NNMi) Support Tips" and order by Date to get the list
The views expressed in my contributions are my own and do not necessarily reflect the views and strategy of MicroFocus
If you find this or any post resolves your issue, please be sure to mark it as an accepted solution.
Highlighted
Regular Contributor.
Regular Contributor.

Re: Selective monitoring (NNM 10)

Good Day Sir,

I will take a look at your solution. Newbie at NNM here.

Thank You!

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.