Highlighted
Respected Contributor.
Respected Contributor.

Set threshold on Throughput

Hi Experts,

We need to configure a new incident and set a threshold on Throughput not Interface Utilization.

Our target is, when High Interface Input/Output Utilization incident occured, we need to include Throughput value in the message. Or to set a direct threshold on Throughput.

Thanks

Mostafa Elmahdy

0 Likes
5 Replies
Highlighted
Acclaimed Contributor.
Acclaimed Contributor.

Re: Set threshold on Throughput

Mostafa,

How are you defining "throughput"?  What you need to do is to specify what this translates into in the way of the MIB variables in the interfaces and ifXtab tables, then create the expression, configure a custom poller policy and apply the threshold to the collection.   By default "utilization" is monitored by statepoller, but if you have another value you want to monitor then you may need to use custom poller.  But it all starts with what you meant by "throughput" and where the values to caculate it are held within the agent's MIB.

All the best

Dave Y

MicroFocus Support
Viewed the Support tips? Search for "(NNMi) Support Tips" and order by Date to get the list
The views expressed in my contributions are my own and do not necessarily reflect the views and strategy of MicroFocus
If you find this or any post resolves your issue, please be sure to mark it as an accepted solution.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Respected Contributor.
Respected Contributor.

Hi,

The required value is Throughput value that calculated and can be accessed from:

Performance analysis > Interface Performance Metrics> Throughput In (avg).

I mean this Throughput value.

Can we show this value on High Utilization incident message?

Thanks

0 Likes
Highlighted
Acclaimed Contributor.
Acclaimed Contributor.

Unfortunately not.   This value is being calculated by NPS from the data being passed over to it from statepoller and is not calculated by statepoller directly. 

One way to get at this data would be to try to launch from the incident into the reports to get at this data.  NNMi's concept of the analysis pane is specifically implemented for doing this sort of investigation.  The idea being you can start from and incident, a node an interface and then investigate various scenarios by launching reports etc.

All the best

Dave Y

MicroFocus Support
Viewed the Support tips? Search for "(NNMi) Support Tips" and order by Date to get the list
The views expressed in my contributions are my own and do not necessarily reflect the views and strategy of MicroFocus
If you find this or any post resolves your issue, please be sure to mark it as an accepted solution.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Respected Contributor.
Respected Contributor.

Hi Dave,

Can you please provide me example/steps to get this value using custom poller ?

Can we acheive it using API ? or direct query from NPS DB ?

Thanks

0 Likes
Highlighted
Acclaimed Contributor.
Acclaimed Contributor.

Mostafa,

If you want to use custom poller and get the value direct from the agent then the calculation NPS is using is "ifOutOctets * 8 / delta time"   which converts to a simple bits per second.   Therefore a simple mib expression can be created to form this value and then you can apply a threshold to it.   However, this value can be turned into a Utilisation value very easily and may be more flexible across alof of interface types as utilisation is a value of actual rate compared to maximum rate, while throughput is a fixed value of X bps.   With the latter you really need to know the interface speed to know if this is an issue or not.  However with utilisation 99% is a problem whatever the speed. 

However, I hope this helps

All the best

Dave Y

MicroFocus Support
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.