UPDATE! The community will be go into read-only on April 19, 8am Pacific in preparation for migration on April 21. Read more.
UPDATE! The community will be go into read-only on April 19, 8am Pacific in preparation for migration on April 21.Read more.
Commodore
Commodore

Show Nodes not assigned to any Node Group

I’ve created many different Node Groups and assigned the Nodes with either device category filters , or with Additional Filters using “like” and regEx.
Now I need to see if a Node did not match at least one of the Node Groups. Any Idea how to do this ?
0 Likes
8 Replies
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Hi Thomas,

You can open the Node Properties page under "Node Groups" tab you will find which Node groups match for the current node.

Regards,
Mahmoud Ibrahim
http://www.mahmoudthoughts.com
Regards,
Mahmoud Ibrahim
https://www.itmthoughts.com
New version of Mahmoudthoughts witten by other IT experts, if you want to share tips and tricks you are invited to join and write your own articles.
  • Say thanks by clicking the "Thump Up!" which is on the left.

• Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer with "Accept as Solution" if it solves your issue.
  • 0 Likes
    Micro Focus Expert
    Micro Focus Expert

Hi Thomas,

If you want to know which nodes are matching your condition for a node group, When the Node Group Property page is open
    Click Actions --> Show Members
    It will displayed the matched nodes for the opened Node Group

Regards,
    Mahmoud Ibrahim
    http://www.mahmoudthoughts.com
    Regards,
    Mahmoud Ibrahim
    https://www.itmthoughts.com
    New version of Mahmoudthoughts witten by other IT experts, if you want to share tips and tricks you are invited to join and write your own articles.
  • Say thanks by clicking the "Thump Up!" which is on the left.

• Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer with "Accept as Solution" if it solves your issue.
  • 0 Likes
    Commodore
    Commodore

Hi Mahmoud
    I know this two methods to find out if and where a Node is Member of.

The problem is, that I don't want to check every single Node if it's member of at least one of my created Node Groups.
    The Background on this is that I don't want to have a Node somewhere in the "No Man's Land" not seen in any of my created Node Groups.

In older NNM versions a new Node appeared in the "New Object Area" and I had control to move it manually into the appropriate Node Group(Map).

In NNMi 9 It can happen that a new Node does not match any of my Node Group filters and then it would not be seen in any Node Group.
    I didn't really have control over it.
    The only place I'm sure it's in is the inventory list.
    0 Likes
    Absent Member.
    Absent Member.

I'm having the same issue as Thomas,

When dealing with thousands of nodes, it would be nice to find out which ones didn't hit a filter (no mans land).

What might be useful is to be able to run a report on all the nodes, and disclose what groups each node is a part of. This way I can see at a glace which nodes are not seen by anyone (or perhaps in the wrong node group). I realize you can see what members are a part of each node group, but with 174 groups, in my environment, this would not be helpful.

As Thomas said, with version 7.x, each node went to a holding area until the admin decided to put it somewhere. In version 9.x nodes are added, and they disappear, but know one knows if they hit a filter unless you manually go through each one to find out.

Thanks,

David

0 Likes
    Absent Member.
    Absent Member.

I would like to add my request for this functionality. We have new stores being built all the time and we create a node group fro each store. But without some sort of report or cmd line option it is likely to get missed and a whole store of nodes may be in no mans land.
    0 Likes
    Fleet Admiral Fleet Admiral
    Fleet Admiral

Hello,

currently I don't know an easy way to do this. This is my way:

• Go to Topology > Nodes and remove all filters to show all nodes
    • Export the table view to CSV
    • Create a Node Group including all my Node Groups as child Node Groups (like IP Internet in old NNM)
    • Generate a CSV as before but using this new "Top Level" Node Group as a filter in the nodes tables
    • Use MS Excel or Notepadd++ to compare the CSVs

This is a manual way, but if I have time I will test a script which does this:

• Get all nodes in my "Top Level" Node Group (nnmtwiddle.ovpl can call the method to dump all nodes in a node group - see older threads on this)
    • Get the count of nodes from this output
    • Get the total count of nodes and perhaps again the list of nodes in NNMi (perhaps with direct database access cia psql or using nnmtopodump.ovpl)
    • If the count differs, check each node against the all nodes and log the not already covered nodes

HTH

Allessandro

Admiral
    Admiral

Nice , thanks asoloperto.

the command is 

C:\Program Files (x86)\HP\HP BTO Software\support>nnmtwiddle.ovpl -u system -p <> invoke com.hp.ov.nms.monitoring:bean=NodeGroupAssignmentCacheService dumpCacheForNode  "<Node Name>"

Thanks,
    Bharath
    0 Likes
    Fleet Admiral Fleet Admiral
    Fleet Admiral

Hi

I know this is an old thread, but since this funtionality still does not exist in the 9.23 version (and from the 10.0 release notes it seems that it has not been introduced there either), here's an SQL query that can be run directly in the NNMi database (for instance using the PGAdmin application) to show all nodes that are *not* members of *any* node groups whatsoever:

SELECT name FROM nms_node WHERE
    NOT EXISTS (SELECT 'x' FROM nms_nodegrp_assn where
    nms_nodegrp_assn.node = nms_node.id)

Another query that I find interesting is one that returns all nodes that are *not* members of a *particular* node group,  neither directly nor indrectly (through sub groups). I then first find the id of the node group (from the nmn_node_groups table) and then run the following query:

SELECT name FROM nms_node WHERE

NOT EXISTS (SELECT 'x' FROM nms_nodegrp_assn where

nms_nodegrp_assn.node = nms_node.id AND nms_nodegrp_assn.grp = <nnn>)

where <nnn> is the id of the node group.

Cheers,

Frank

0 Likes
    The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.