Highlighted
Contributor.. Contributor..
Contributor..

Starting Discovery

Jump to solution

I've been an HPOV user over the years but finally updating to HOPV NNMi 10.30. After setting up discovery ranges, seeds and what not, what button do I hit to start the discovery? So if this is one of the dumbest questions anyone has asked, at least it may give you a moment of humor. Thanks for the help.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Acclaimed Contributor.. Acclaimed Contributor..
Acclaimed Contributor..

Re: Starting Discovery

Jump to solution

Hello,

discovery starts as soon as you save your new settings. I would follow these steps:

Add SNMP read communities in Communication Settings

Add Discovery Rules (important to discover all SNMP devices is the check box for that option - without this option NNMi only discovers router and switches!)

Add seeds as a starting point (best are routers as you might know from old NNM - ARP tables!)

You can see some progress in $NnmDataDir/log/nnm/nnm.log.

HTH and kind regards

Allessandro

View solution in original post

3 Replies
Highlighted
Acclaimed Contributor..

Jump to solution

Hello,

discovery starts as soon as you save your new settings. I would follow these steps:

Add SNMP read communities in Communication Settings

Add Discovery Rules (important to discover all SNMP devices is the check box for that option - without this option NNMi only discovers router and switches!)

Add seeds as a starting point (best are routers as you might know from old NNM - ARP tables!)

You can see some progress in $NnmDataDir/log/nnm/nnm.log.

HTH and kind regards

Allessandro

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Acclaimed Contributor..

Jump to solution

Well HPOV  is an outdated product identification these days, lots has moved around, reshuffled and if you didnt know it, as of today, the first of September,  It is now Microfocus and a component of NOM (Network Operations Management Suite). 

What you'll find different in this version is that the licensing is by nodes in your inventory, not like the 7.53 and previous versions managed node count. 

I would be good for you to review the spiral discovery document so you can get a good idea of the mechanisims involved because its quite different from pre 8.X versions as discovery is always running .   Whats added is what you specify , it can be address range(s), answers to specific SNMP community strings, SNMP versions, any SNMP, or even ICMP response.

You can also specify some automatic inventory management so the system will remove any node that does not respond to the system in a defined time period. 

Have a nice day 🙂

Andy Kemp
I've lasted longer in the technology industry than most certifications.
Highlighted
Contributor.. Contributor..
Contributor..

Jump to solution

Thanks for the historic overview. I used it a lot more back in 2000 - 2004, so a lot has changed. I find it weird that you can't load up a few seeds or a larger seed file and not start scanning the network until a later less network-stressed time. But, I can live with it.

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.