Highlighted
Honored Contributor.
Honored Contributor.

Switch Stack Alerting

I have a 3850 switch that is part of a switch stack.
When a switch in the stack goes down it shows up as a critical card down but
the node itself only bubbles up as a minor alarm. Is their a way to make the analysis
show up as a critical?

Thanks - john

0 Likes
2 Replies
Highlighted
Honored Contributor.
Honored Contributor.

Re: Switch Stack Alerting

I noticed that when doing a layer 2 Map it defaults to a single switch and I have to zoom in for it to show up as two switches. How does NNMi monitor each switch in a stack. Can they alert as criticals even when they are not the primary switch.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Acclaimed Contributor.
Acclaimed Contributor.

Re: Switch Stack Alerting

John,

I think the best way to look into your scenario is to open a support case with us so that we can get more information about the devices you have, how they are configured and how the MIB data looks.

Its generally pretty difficult to alter the way the status is propagated up through the device because this is done using the static causal rules.  To change these requires a change to these rules and they would then need to be thoroughly tested as they get pretty complicated. 

As for the monitoring this tends to be stack specific and will depend on whether the members have their own snmp agents, ip addresses etc or whether they are all reported via the primary member.

So lots of questions and data to review, possibly.  Therefore best done via a support case.

All the best

Dave Y

MicroFocus Support
Viewed the Support tips? Search for "(NNMi) Support Tips" and order by Date to get the list
The views expressed in my contributions are my own and do not necessarily reflect the views and strategy of MicroFocus
If you find this or any post resolves your issue, please be sure to mark it as an accepted solution.
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.