Highlighted
Honored Contributor.
Honored Contributor.

Traps for a handful of devices not showing up in the gui

Jump to solution

nnmi version 10

I tried to work off things to check from other posts and hope I
am missing something obvious as I am the novice backup.

"Discard Unresolved snmp traps and syslog messages" is NOT checked.
I can see the traps come into the interface of the server using tcpdump/wireshark.

following a particular device/trap
1. trap.csv shows the following message:
Date, UNKNOWN_TRAP ,ipaddress,,,"NO TRAP LOGGING CONFIGURATION FMT FOR null ARGS(0): ",Registered,normal...

2. nnmtrapdump shows Failed to parse trap

3. MIB, Trap configuration, and Trap logging, are all loaded/enabled

4. No filters blocking (checked trapFilter/nnmtrapd/dumpBlocklist)

The trap is sourced from a different ipaddress(2) than the "Management address". ipaddress(1)
however the ip address(2) object is "managed"(inherited)

5. Checked nnm-trace.log
trapd.NMTrapData Failed to parse trap from/ip address(1) Bad authentication code for user X engineID= xxxx
trapd.MessageProcessor Exception {0} Failed to get engine parameters for trap from ipaddress(2)

6. Setlogginglevel to FINEST
snmpException: Management Address map is not available...followed by many lines ending in "java:"(you know the ones!)
SEVERE snmpPdu was null, unable to lookup trap-OID

appreciate any thoughts on where to look next. Thank you!

0 Likes
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Acclaimed Contributor.
Acclaimed Contributor.

Re: Traps for a handful of devices not showing up in the gui

Jump to solution

The message about the management address map is not available is not normally terminal.  The address map is simply being used to try to map the source of the trap to the management address of the node in topology.  If the address is the management address then the map is not needed.  If the map is not available and then source IP is not the management address then it may not get flagged with the correct source.  However it may still get processed.   This issue has been resolved recently:
   10.0 P5
   10.1 P4
   10.2 P3
   and fixed in 10.30 and above.

if you have these patches installed then I would suggest opening a support case and so that your scenario can be looked at.

All the best

Dave Y

MicroFocus Support
Viewed the Support tips? Search for "(NNMi) Support Tips" and order by Date to get the list
The views expressed in my contributions are my own and do not necessarily reflect the views and strategy of MicroFocus
If you find this or any post resolves your issue, please be sure to mark it as an accepted solution.

View solution in original post

6 Replies
Highlighted
Outstanding Contributor.. Outstanding Contributor..
Outstanding Contributor..

Jump to solution

Hi,

these traps are SNMP version 3 traps . For traps decoding NNMi should know Engine ID of sending SNNMP agent. There are 2 options:

1. trap sending node must be discobvered  and avaialble in NNMi inventory . Then NNMi will know Engine ID and decode traps.

2. Engine IDs must be added to special configuration file. See NNMI Deplyument Guide, chapter "receiving of SNMpv3 traps from modea what are not in NNMi inventory)

As an workaround/alternative - ask devices administrators to send these traps in non-secure SNMPv1 or v2C format.

my 2 cents,

Gedas

Highlighted
Honored Contributor.
Honored Contributor.

Jump to solution

appreciate the response!!!

The devices are managed and successfully status/configuration poll using V3. 

It is only the traps that are not being parsed.  I have verified the engine ID in the packet

to be the same as what is configured on the device.  

I will reveiw the deployment guide for the file.

Thank you...

0 Likes
Highlighted
Acclaimed Contributor.
Acclaimed Contributor.

Jump to solution

Hi there,

If you are still having problems with the traps then you might find the following KCS document useful:

KM00484164 Why are traps not being displayed in NNMi

If all else fails enable the "trapd" and the "events" tracing as this will allow you to follow the traps through the event pipeline and you should see where they are being dropped and the reason.

All the best

Dave Y

MicroFocus Support
Viewed the Support tips? Search for "(NNMi) Support Tips" and order by Date to get the list
The views expressed in my contributions are my own and do not necessarily reflect the views and strategy of MicroFocus
If you find this or any post resolves your issue, please be sure to mark it as an accepted solution.
Highlighted
Honored Contributor.
Honored Contributor.

Jump to solution

Thanks all for the info!!

I did set up the trace for trapd and events  and got the following.

The trap appears to come in normally and then
seems to not match the oid values before being forwarded to Events
where it states : Management address map is not available.

( which i maybe incorrectly interpretting to mean that a corrupted OID (15181 which would be an IneQuest device) does not have a trap configuration, which is true.  But if so, why and where would it get that)

processing trap
V3 Message user parameters:
User: XXXXXXXXXX
Authenticated: true
Encrypted: true
Authoritative Engine ID: xxxxxx
Trap data parameters: ip address managed by
trap.parseTrap completed
adding hint from ( source IP address )
processing hint ( source IP address )
Hint ( source IP address ) already in cache
MessageProcessor.processData validateTrapoid took 0 seconds for trap
1 Pattern: Value[1] Matches: true.
3 Pattern: Value[3] Matches: true.
6 Pattern: Value[6] Matches: true.
4 Pattern: Value[4] Matches: true.
3,375 Pattern: Value[15181] Matches: False.
3 Pattern: Value[3] Matches: true.
6 Pattern: Value[6] Matches: true.
4 Pattern: Value[2] Matches: False.
MessageProcessor.processData -- earlyFilter processing took 2 msecs .......
MessageProcessor.processData completed in 5 msecs .......
ForwardToEventStage............ Forwarding trap .1.3.6.1.4.1.3375.2.4.0.60.0 to Events
.mdb.TrapAnalysisMDB............ Read 2,208 bytesinto trapAnalysisMDB
.mdb.TrapAnalysisMDB............ TrapAnalysisMDB.on message() took 0 secs.
.mdb.TrapAuditMDB............... Unable to parse trap: com.hp.ov.snmp.exceptions.SnmpException: Management address map is not available

at com.hp.ov.nms.trapd.....................................java:xxxx )
....etc

0 Likes
Highlighted
Acclaimed Contributor.
Acclaimed Contributor.

Jump to solution

The message about the management address map is not available is not normally terminal.  The address map is simply being used to try to map the source of the trap to the management address of the node in topology.  If the address is the management address then the map is not needed.  If the map is not available and then source IP is not the management address then it may not get flagged with the correct source.  However it may still get processed.   This issue has been resolved recently:
   10.0 P5
   10.1 P4
   10.2 P3
   and fixed in 10.30 and above.

if you have these patches installed then I would suggest opening a support case and so that your scenario can be looked at.

All the best

Dave Y

MicroFocus Support

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Honored Contributor.
Honored Contributor.

Jump to solution

I was able to get traps after setting the "management address" to be the same as the IP address of the hostname. 

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.