Highlighted
Frequent Contributor.
Frequent Contributor.

Unable to establish the HP NNMi SSL Configuration

Jump to solution

I was trying to establish HP NNMi SSL using my own self signed keystore and truststore certificates, I created the certificates and copied it to the location i.e. /var/opt/OV/shared/nnm/certificates.  I am not able to figure out where to change the required configurations for the certificates and its password. 

Can you please help me in solving this issue

I have HP NNMi Version 10.20.280

Tags (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Acclaimed Contributor.. Acclaimed Contributor..
Acclaimed Contributor..

Re: Unable to establish the HP NNMi SSL Configuration

Jump to solution

Hello,

my understanding is that you have to import your server certificate (server which connects to NNMi Web Services API) in the nnm-trust.p12 file using command nnmkeytool.ovpl.

HTH and kind regards

Allessandro

View solution in original post

0 Likes
6 Replies
Highlighted
Acclaimed Contributor..

Jump to solution

Hello,

the certificate management is described in the NNMi Deployment Guide and you can find some KB articles on the HPE Software Support web site.

HTH and kind regards

Allessandro

0 Likes
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor.
Frequent Contributor.

Jump to solution

Hi Alessandro,

Thanks for the reply. I went through the HP NNMi deployment guide. In there I tried to find the nnm.keystore and the nnm.truststore certificates at the given location i.e. /var/opt/OV/shared/nnm/certificates, but I was not able to find these certificates instead the following certificates are present nnm-trust.p12 and nnm-key.p12. Are the nnm.keystore and nnm.truststore certificates are replaced by these new certificates or can I find them some place else? 

If nnm-trust.p12 and nnm-key.p12 are the new certificates, then where can I find their password?

Thanks and Regards,

Rishabh

0 Likes
Highlighted
Acclaimed Contributor..

Jump to solution

Hehe, another victim of the switch from Java Key Store (JKS) to RSA'sPublic-Key Cryptography Standards v12.

There are some pretty nasty "features" that came long with this migration, one of which is that the keytool is really horked (to use a hightly technical term) and the documentation isnt really clear or correct.

PKCS12 is the default cryptography when you do a clean install of v10.2X, 10.10 is JKS, upgrades are still the cryptography that they were installed as.

Ignore the self signed certificate generation document, and just use  nnmsetofficialfqdn.ovpl , that will invoke the proper keytool with correct options to generate the self signed certificate for your server.  This is also the same thing to use when you have application failover clustering issues  (yes, it horked that up as well) 

Have a nice day 🙂

Andy Kemp
I've lasted longer in the technology industry than most certifications.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor.
Frequent Contributor.

Jump to solution

Hi Thanks for the quick answer. 

Actually my case in a little bit different. We are trying to access the HP NNMi via a Java application to fetch the incidents from the API. The SDK that we are using is NNMi 10 web service SDK. 

We want to establish a secure connection with HP NNMi Server. Now for this case, I am not sure how to proceed. 

We have the default nnm-key.p12 and nnm-trust.p12 certificates in the certificate directory of HP NNMi. How can we use these certificates to establish the SSL connection? 

Is there any other way apart from using the nnm-key.p12 and nnm-trust.p12 certificates, like using our own self-signed certificates? And what configuration are to be done in HP NNMi for using our self-signed certificates?

0 Likes
Highlighted
Acclaimed Contributor..

Jump to solution

Hello,

my understanding is that you have to import your server certificate (server which connects to NNMi Web Services API) in the nnm-trust.p12 file using command nnmkeytool.ovpl.

HTH and kind regards

Allessandro

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor.
Frequent Contributor.

Jump to solution

Thanks a lot, everyone it works.

I used nnmkeytool.ovpl to extract the public certificate, and then created a new keystore and imported it in. 

This worked for me and I got the SSL communication setup

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.