Community in read only mode June 18 & 19
This community will be set in READ ONLY mode for a while on Tuesday June 18 into Wednesday June 19 while we import content and users from our Micro Focus Forums community site. MORE INFORMATION
Respected Contributor.. Jeff1219 Respected Contributor..
Respected Contributor..

UnresponsiveAgentInNode status

Running 9.24 on Linux.  We have several cisco switches of different models having this SNMP error (UnresponsiveAgentInNode).  I found one article that said to unmanage/manage the node to clear it up but that doesn't work.  I can succesfully perform snmpwalk on the node.  Any ideas on a procedure to clear this situation or to identify cause?

Thanks.

0 Likes
14 Replies
VeronicaGismero Honored Contributor.
Honored Contributor.

Re: UnresponsiveAgentInNode status

Hello,

If you select one of the nodes, go to menu Actions -> Configuration details -> communication settings

The information displayed there for NNMi to communicate with the node, is the correct one (version, community, retry, timeout, etc.?

Regards

Veronica Gismero
The views expressed in my contributions are my own and do not necessarily reflect the views and strategy of HP
If you find this or any post resolves your issue, please be sure to mark it as an accepted solution,If you are satisfied with anyone’s response please remember to give them a KUDOS and show your appreciation.

Micro Focus Support
0 Likes
Vincent_M_NNM Acclaimed Contributor.
Acclaimed Contributor.

Hello Jeff

Thanks for your question,

Can you please check if the management address changed for one or two nodes?  Are you running the nnmsnmpwalk.ovpl using -T node's IP or hostname? Is the configuration poll working for the device? Is there a firewall or proxy between NNM and the devices? Can you add one of those devices into a specific node settings with a specific community?

Can you share that information with us?

Regards,

Vincent Montenegro Mena
Customer Support Engineer

If you find that this or any other post resolves your issue, please be sure to mark it as an accepted solution.
If you are satisfied with anyone’s response please remember to give them a KUDOS by clicking on the STAR at the bottom left of the post and show your appreciation.
0 Likes
Respected Contributor..

Yes, the proper community strings are listed in the Active SNMP Agent Settings box. Attached image.

0 Likes
Respected Contributor..

NNMVins, thanks for your interest.

The management address has not changed.

I'm running snmpwalk with IP address. 

I've seen some periodic problems  with configuration poll on different devices not just those with this error (some complete, some just hang with message 'starting configuration poll'). 

There is a firewall between NNM and all 5,000+ devices, but not everyone has this problem.

0 Likes
Absent Member.. Walinton Absent Member..
Absent Member..

Jeff

The unresponsive agent status is usually set because NNMi can't get the system MIB table (that contains info such as sysUpTime and sysName). Please run the following command with no other arguments so that the command uses the same communication settings as NNMi

nnmsnmpget.ovpl <managementIP> .1.3.6.1.2.1.1.1.0 .1.3.6.1.2.1.1.2.0 .1.3.6.1.2.1.1.3.0 .1.3.6.1.2.1.1.4.0 .1.3.6.1.2.1.1.5.0 .1.3.6.1.2.1.1.6.0

and

nnmsnmpbulk.ovpl <managementIP> .1.3.6.1.2.1.1

A succesfull response would be similar to

nnmsnmpget.ovpl 16.77.51.134 .1.3.6.1.2.1.1.1.0 .1.3.6.1.2.1.1.2.0 .1.3.6.1.2.1.1.3.0 .1.3.6.1.2.1.1.4.0 .1.3.6.1.2.1.1.5.0 .1.3.6.1.2.1.1.6.0

sysDescr.0 : OCTET STRING- (ascii): someDescr

sysObjectID.0 : OBJECT IDENTIFIER: .1.3.6.1.4.1.11.1.1
sysUpTime.0 : Timeticks: (354235059) 40 days, 23:59:10.59
sysContact.0 : OCTET STRING-
sysName.0 : OCTET STRING- (ascii): someNode
sysLocation.0 : OCTET STRING-

nnmsnmpbulk.ovpl 16.77.51.134 .1.3.6.1.2.1.1

sysDescr.0 : OCTET STRING- (ascii): someDescr

sysObjectID.0 : OBJECT IDENTIFIER: .1.3.6.1.4.1.11.1.1
sysUpTime.0 : Timeticks: (354235059) 40 days, 23:59:10.59
sysContact.0 : OCTET STRING-
sysName.0 : OCTET STRING- (ascii): someNode
sysLocation.0 : OCTET STRING-

Which get type worked (simple get or bulk)?

If the device responds properly but NNMi is still setting the node as UnresponsiveAgent, then it will be required to perform some communication tracing between NNMi and the node.

Thanks

HP Support
If you find that this or any post resolves your issue, please be sure to mark it as an accepted solution.
0 Likes
Respected Contributor..

Walinton,

Both commands returned the same information and proper results.  What type of communication tracing is needed?  Opening a support case?

Thanks.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.. Walinton Absent Member..
Absent Member..

Hello,

Sure, we can handle this on a support case. Or we can do some basic troubleshooting over here.

If you have a node with this status right now, can you perform a status poll agains it? will the status be updated. If not, you can try another poll but this time with packet tracing with Wireshark on Windows, or tcpdump on Linux (or the tool of your preference).

Linux

tcpdump "udp and port 161 and host <node-IP>" -s0 -vv -w /tmp/cap.pcap

Will you see a response for all requests that NNMi sends?

Thanks,

HP Support
If you find that this or any post resolves your issue, please be sure to mark it as an accepted solution.
0 Likes
Respected Contributor..

looks like status poll returns fine, I attached the results.

0 Likes
Respected Contributor..

Ran a configuration poll that succeeded, and now status is normal.

0 Likes
Respected Contributor..

Here are the results of a device not responding to status poll.  I ran tcpdump and saw that only gets from NNM server are listed, no replys from the node.

0 Likes
VeronicaGismero Honored Contributor.
Honored Contributor.

Hello,

You have mentioned there is a firewall between NNMi and the nodes. I have seen similar issues in the past. Could you please check with the firewall administrator if the affected nodes belongs to a specific rule defined in the firewall?

What we have done in the past to identify the issue, was working with the firewall administrator and firewall support.

We took a couple of nodes, changed them to not managed.

Wait one or two polling cycles.

Confirm in the firewall there are no more requests coming from the NNMi server to those devices.

Now, put back those nodes to manage.

Perform a config poll

Then, perform a status poll.

What the firewall administrator found in the audit log files were some denied messages associated about those nodes and also some messages related to blocking traffic from NNMi to those devices after that.

Depending on the firewall and its configuration, we could also see this blocking set by the firewall was resetted after some time and the node came back to normal, but issue was intermitent.

In those scenarios, some rules were changed by the firewall administrator and firewall support, to avoid this type of situation from happening in the future. After they did those changes, everything went back to normal and the issue was no longer present.

I would recommend you to check all what I have mentioned with your firewall administrator.

Regards

Veronica Gismero
The views expressed in my contributions are my own and do not necessarily reflect the views and strategy of HP
If you find this or any post resolves your issue, please be sure to mark it as an accepted solution,If you are satisfied with anyone’s response please remember to give them a KUDOS and show your appreciation.

Micro Focus Support
0 Likes
Respected Contributor..

Thanks for the information Veronica, I'll reach out to the firewall group.

0 Likes
David Campeau Absent Member.
Absent Member.

This seems to be a problem I'm currently having with NNM, and I do have a incident opened with HP about it.

Essentially, nodes show up in non normal nodes claiming it's unable to communicate via snmp to the node -- Yet, command line, from NNM, shows the Node is working properly.

Engineer claims several others are having the same problem.

A work around that's been just 'okay', has been to slow down NNM's polling cycle especially if you have ispi for performance.

0 Likes
Dave Young Acclaimed Contributor.
Acclaimed Contributor.

David,

If you find this situation where NNMi can't communicate with an end device and yet the command line tools can then the problem, in our experience, is most likely a fire wall in the network path causing the problem.   The difference between the commands and NNMi is that they open a new source socket from which to communicate, NNMi continues to use the same one.   It may be that there is a rule in the firewall such that if there is a burst of traffic it thinks there is an attack and starts to block the source port/ip combination.   If you unmanage the device and leave it like this for around 1 or 2 hours, does communication then start back up?   If so it adds to the idea of a firewall rule as it will have timed out since there was no traffic and so unblocks the connection.  ( The source port is still the original port number..... )

Worth checking out when the next problem occurs.

Hope this helps

Dave Y

MicroFocus Support
Viewed the Support tips? Search for "(NNMi) Support Tips" and order by Date to get the list
The views expressed in my contributions are my own and do not necessarily reflect the views and strategy of MicroFocus
If you find this or any post resolves your issue, please be sure to mark it as an accepted solution.
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.