Highlighted
Respected Contributor.
Respected Contributor.

Upgrade NNM 9.20 to NNM 10.10

Hi Team, 

We are using the current version of NNM 9.20. It is going Out of Support and we are planning to do an upgrade.

We are planning to do a fresh Install of 10.10 on a nerw server. Can some one guide us on

what are the best practices,

what important steps we follow

Does NNM 10.10 support postgres DB ? 

ALso how do we migrate the old data to 10.10 version (from 9.20)

ALso last point, on important industry pratices if any to be notes while installation

0 Likes
6 Replies
Highlighted
Acclaimed Contributor.. Acclaimed Contributor..
Acclaimed Contributor..

Re: Upgrade NNM 9.20 to NNM 10.10

Hello praful,

first of all: the current version of NNMi is 10.40.

To migrate the data inplace you have to follow this upgrade path:

9.2x (with latest patch) --> 10.1x (with latest patch) --> 10.2x (with latest patch) --> 10.40

The interactive install guide of the versions are the source of these information.

There is no direct data migration using a fresh installation of a higher version (this is mostly a support statement as a dump of an 9.2x postgres db might be succesfully "imported/migrated" on a 10.1x fresh installation). And this answers your second question: postgres is supported on all versions from 9.x to 10.4.

My advice is to engage an experienced consultant to plan and do the migration together.

HTH and kind regards

Allessandro

0 Likes
Highlighted
Respected Contributor.
Respected Contributor.

Thank you for the reponse. To add to your comment, i had some querry on the database installation. 

I see in the installation steps there is a selection of Database, Oracle or HP Software Embedded Database.

So if i want to use Postgres as my DB, then what option should i select ? Should selecting HP Software Embedded DB, help my cause. 

Can you please share some details.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Acclaimed Contributor..

Hello praful,

the Embedded Database is the Postgres db.

A fresh installation is pretty straight forward and you can for example use the default directories on Linux, embedded db and the other default settings. If you install on Windows I would always (!) use installation and data directories without spaces (so NOT "C:\Program Files\...").

HTH and kind regards

Allessandro

0 Likes
Highlighted
Respected Contributor.
Respected Contributor.

Thank you So much for the guidence. 

One more thing, I was just thinking, Like the existing environment we have 9.20, Once we have the fresh installation ready with 10.10, is there any way we can replicate the data to the new version ? 

Because i feel, the MIBs, traps, etc, which are compactible with the old version if it might not work with the new version then there would be an issue.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Respected Contributor.
Respected Contributor.

You will have to perform OS upgrade also somewhere along the path if 9.2 had been running on one that is not supported by 10.x. Take into account feasibility of doing that too.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Acclaimed Contributor..

Hello,

you can try to use the nnmconfigexport/import command line tool to migrate some of your data - but this might not work. In order to migrate all data, you must use the database dump and follow the migration path (see former post).

If you think about a fresh installation and manual configuration migration it might be enough to use some export command tools (e.g. for SNMP configuration) and to get a list of all current nodes to transfer them to a seed list (CSV) and even a Node Group consolidation might be a good thing (again using a CSV and a command line tool to reduce manually affords).

HTH and kind regards

Allessandro

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.