Highlighted
Commander Commander
Commander

Upgrading NNM v9.1 Patch5 to 9.2 without loss of license, data and configurations ?

Jump to solution

Greetings Experts,

Is it possible to upgrade NNM v9.1 Patch 5 to version 9.2 or above (latest) on same management server without the loss of existing data in db, configurations and running mplsSpi/ PerfSpi and NNM Licenses ?

Our deloyment also have NNM-PerfSpi and NNM-NA Integrations where they both are hosted on seperate servers. However, MPLSSpi is on same management server as NNM.

Can you please come up with a simple plan for such NNM updradation activity. I have already gone through NNM upgradation path document but I wanted to make sure about the data, licenses, configurations and the integration areas.

Thanks in advance !

-Avi Mehenwal

Tags (2)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Hello Avi

Yes, the upgrade will preserve all your data you have in the DB. The licensing model is not changed between the 9.1x and 9.2x versions. The NPS content store is automatically upgraded if needed.

The upgrade process would be to first upgrade NNMi to 9.2x and then the iSPIs. It is also recommended to install the latest available patches.

Of course, best is to run a full backup of your systems before you start the upgrade process. I also encourage you to read a few document before starting the upgrade process:

9.23 upgrade reference manual (http://support.openview.hp.com/selfsolve/document/KM00392945/binary/nnmi_upgrade_reference_9.23.pdf)

9.20 NPS Installation giude (http://support.openview.hp.com/selfsolve/document/KM1401706/binary/nnm_ispi_Metrics_Win_Installation_9.20.pdf)

9.20 MPLS Installation guide: (http://support.openview.hp.com/selfsolve/document/KM1401695/binary/nnm_ispi_MPLS_Installation_9.20.pdf)

Kind regards,

Dieter

HP Support
If you find that this or any post resolves your issue, please be sure to mark it as an accepted solution.

View solution in original post

10 Replies
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Hello Avi

Yes, the upgrade will preserve all your data you have in the DB. The licensing model is not changed between the 9.1x and 9.2x versions. The NPS content store is automatically upgraded if needed.

The upgrade process would be to first upgrade NNMi to 9.2x and then the iSPIs. It is also recommended to install the latest available patches.

Of course, best is to run a full backup of your systems before you start the upgrade process. I also encourage you to read a few document before starting the upgrade process:

9.23 upgrade reference manual (http://support.openview.hp.com/selfsolve/document/KM00392945/binary/nnmi_upgrade_reference_9.23.pdf)

9.20 NPS Installation giude (http://support.openview.hp.com/selfsolve/document/KM1401706/binary/nnm_ispi_Metrics_Win_Installation_9.20.pdf)

9.20 MPLS Installation guide: (http://support.openview.hp.com/selfsolve/document/KM1401695/binary/nnm_ispi_MPLS_Installation_9.20.pdf)

Kind regards,

Dieter

HP Support
If you find that this or any post resolves your issue, please be sure to mark it as an accepted solution.

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Commander Commander
Commander

Thanks a lot Dieter.

Do I need to revoke NNM-NA and NNM-PerfSpi Integration before I initiate upgradation ?

My PerSPi, mplsSpi and NA all are 9.1 . Would I need to upgrade them all as well ?

-Avi Mehenwal

0 Likes
Highlighted
Commander Commander
Commander
Also please can you share 1st and 3rd document in attachment as I am not able to open them in my browser.

Thanks again Dieter
0 Likes
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Hello Avi,

For the NPS specific upgrade from 9.10 to 9.20, please refer also to following document I have written some time ago:

KM00262590: Upgrading the Network Performance Server (NPS) from version 9.10 to version 9.20

One of the big changes introduced in version 9.20 of the iSPI Performance for Metrics is that Sybase ASE is now used as the Cognos ContentStore database instead of the Derby database that was used by default in the previous version. For this reason, when upgrading the Network Performance Server (NPS) from 9.10 to 9.20, the data previously stored in the Derby database has to be exported and imported into the new Sybase ASE database. 

This document details the steps to be followed to do the upgrade.

All the best

Marie-Noelle

Micro Focus Customer Support

If you are satisfied with anyone’s response please remember to give them KUDOS and show your appreciation.
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Hi Avi

Please find attached the documents.

For the NPS SPI, you don't need to 'undo' anything before the upgrade, however, I may want to stop NPS as long as you are doing the NNMi upgrade (stopAll.ovpl).

I will leave the NA question for someone who supports this integration.

Kind regards

Dieter

HP Support
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Hi Avi,

Yes, you need to upgrade all the SPIs and NA.

Please refer to the "Integration and Coexistence with Other Products" section of the NNMi 9.20 Support Matrix at:

http://support.openview.hp.com/selfsolve/document/KM1398344/binary/nnmi_system_support_matrix_9.20.pdf

It is  also recommended to review the Known Problems, Limitations and Workaround section of each Product Release Notes prior to starting the upgrade.

For the NPS upgrade, you can follow the steps of document:

KM00262590: Upgrading the Network Performance Server (NPS) from version 9.10 to version 9.20

There is the following Known Upgrade issue when the SPIs are installed on the NNMi server

NNMi 9.20 upgrade may result in a very slow UI response when SPIs are installed on the NNMi server

The problem occurs, when the NNMi is just upgraded and re-started, while the iSPI remain at 9.1x version. This throws up a large number of error messages in the nnm logs.  The sample of the error message is given below:

ERROR [org.jboss.wsf.common.invocation.InvocationHandlerJAXWS]

Method invocation failed with exception: null: java.lang.reflect.InvocationTargetException
  at sun.reflect.GeneratedMethodAccessor1107.invoke(Unknown Source)
  at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:25)
  at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:597)
  at org.jboss.wsf.common.invocation.AbstractInvocationHandlerJSE.invoke(AbstractInvocationHandlerJSE.java:102)

The iSPIs keep repeating the subscription requests to NNMi , which results in the large number of exceptions appearing in the log file.

The workaround until the SPIs could be upgraded to 9.20 consists in just stopping the SPIs jbosses. For instance for the MPLS SPI, using:

ovstop mplsjboss

See following Known Issue:

QCCR1B108518: NNMi upgrade should not try to run 'ovstart -c' when iSPIs are also installed on NNMi server

All the best

Marie-Noelle

If you are satisfied with anyone’s response please remember to give them KUDOS and show your appreciation.
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Hi Avi,

You need to upgrade all the SPIs and NA to 9.20.

Please refer to the "Integration and Coexistence with Other Products" section of the NNMi 9.20 Support Matrix at:

http://support.openview.hp.com/selfsolve/document/KM1398344/binary/nnmi_system_support_matrix_9.20.pdf

It is  also recommended to review the Known Problems, Limitations and Workaround section of each Product Release Notes prior to starting the upgrade. There is generally an "Known Upgrade issues" section there.

For the NPS upgrade, you can follow the steps of document:

For the other SPIs, you normally don't need to undo anything but there is the following Known Upgrade issue when the SPIs are installed on the NNMi server

"NNMi 9.20 upgrade may result in a very slow UI response when SPIs are installed on the NNMi server"

The problem occurs, when the NNMi is just upgraded and re-started, while the iSPI remain at 9.1x version. This throws up a large number of error messages in the nnm logs.  The sample of the error message is given below:

ERROR [org.jboss.wsf.common.invocation.InvocationHandlerJAXWS]

Method invocation failed with exception: null: java.lang.reflect.InvocationTargetException
  at sun.reflect.GeneratedMethodAccessor1107.invoke(Unknown Source)
  at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:25)
  at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:597)
  at org.jboss.wsf.common.invocation.AbstractInvocationHandlerJSE.invoke(AbstractInvocationHandlerJSE.java:102)

This is because the iSPIs keep repeating the subscription requests to NNMi which has already been upgraded to 9.20 while the SPIs have not been upgraded yet, which results in the large number of exceptions appearing in the log file.

The workaround until the SPIs could be upgraded to 9.20 consists in just stopping the SPIs jbosses. For instance for the MPLS SPI, using:

ovstop mplsjboss

See following Known Issue:

QCCR1B108518: NNMi upgrade should not try to run 'ovstart -c' when iSPIs are also installed on NNMi server

All the best

Marie-Noelle

0 Likes
Highlighted
Commander Commander
Commander

Thanks a lot Marie, Dieter ! That really helped.

One last thing, Where can I download nnm upgradable installer for v9.2 ? Is that same as v9.2 iso availale on support->downloads.

If yes what option would I need to select to let it know I have already installed and running NNM v9.1 !

Thanks again

-Avi Mehenwal 

0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Hi Avi

Yes, it is part of the NNMi ISO image you download. Once downloaded, you need to 'mount' the ISO image or burn a DVD. Once mounted, you will find the setup.exe (Windows) or setup.bin (Unix) to start the installation. It will automatically detect which version currently is installed and starts the upgrade.

Kind rgards

Dieter

HP Support
Highlighted
Commander Commander
Commander
Great Dieter !

Thanks a lot 🙂
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.