Big news! The community will be moving to a new platform April 21. Read more.
Big news! The community will be moving to a new platform April 21. Read more.
Commander
Commander

WAN router or circuit fails. All devices behind create incident. Can I correlate these?

I have more than 1000 WAN routers.  If a circuit or router fails I get Incidents for the switch(es) and APs behind it.  I have been unable to create a rule that will create an incident for the circuit or routers while suppressing incidents for the devices that are unreachable that reside behind the failed WAN connection.

3 Replies
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Hi,

That trick not works for an every case - but if you complete the L2/L3 discovered path manually by adding the connectivity manually using nnmconnedit.ovpl, the APA will respect the path in status calculation, so nodes behind of disconnected segment are going to Unknown status. This not works for range on node types and there are special cases - if WAN router polled special way, eg only ICMP

Fleet Admiral Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

The trick that always works for me is to manage by an interface monitoring rule the interface that connects these topologically isolated islands to the rest of your network. Just check the box in this rule after describing the criteria that matches your wan connection:

Poll Unconnected Interfaces

Its been working for thousands of locations for us for years. We get the topological suppression of the isolated nodes.

Have a nice day 🙂

Andy Kemp
I've lasted longer in the technology industry than most certifications.
0 Likes
Fleet Admiral Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Hello,

please also check default Node Group "Important Nodes" (see Node groups provided by NNMi (microfocus.com)).

Kind regards

Allessandro

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.