Highlighted
Absent Member.. brainsaFDB Absent Member..
Absent Member..

War over Root Account - NNMi 9.x

hey guys, first post here. 

As our internal fight over root privileges rages on, i'm looking for any thoughts/options you might have. My OS background is primarily windows.

My question is this: Is it possible to effectively deploy/maintain nnmi by identifying a list of specific commands to be run as root? Any new command would need to be added to this list before it would have permissions to run as root. 

Has anyone tried this method? My preference would be to have a checkout system for the root password, but it doesn't look like that will happen. If you've had this difficulty in your organization, I would love to hear how you solved it. 

Thanks!

0 Likes
2 Replies
Established Member.. fariassolis
Established Member..

Re: War over Root Account - NNMi 9.x

Hello Brainsa

How are you doing I hope everything is going well on your end.It's very difficult.  You really need root access for installation.  After installation, some customers can get by setting up a lot of "sudo" permissions for commands in /opt/OV/bin.  But then there are some files that they can't access that are helpful.  I think these tend to be in /var/opt/OV/shared.

NNMi allow the following  Non-Root UNIX Users to Start and Stop NNMi ,NNMi provides a way to allow non-root UNIX users to start and stop NNMi. Do the following:

1 As root, edit the following file:

$NnmDataDir/shared/nnm/conf/ovstart.allow

2 Include the non-root users (one per line) that you want to be able to start and stop NNMi.

3 Save your changes.

Support

The views expressed in my contributions are my own and do not necessarily reflect the views and strategy of HP

If you find this or any post resolves your issue, please be sure to mark it as an accepted solution,If you are satisfied with anyone’s response please remember to give them a KUDOS(by click on the white star) and show your appreciation.

Outstanding Contributor.. iquesada Outstanding Contributor..
Outstanding Contributor..

Re: War over Root Account - NNMi 9.x

Hello brainsaFDB,

In addition to what fariassolis posted here, in case you need it, you can also check the following Support Tip regarding non-root users in NNMi

How can a non root user administer a NNMi system (Linux/Unix)
http://h30499.www3.hp.com/t5/Network-Node-Manager-Support/NNMi-Support-Tip-How-can-a-non-root-user-administer-a-NNMi/td-p/6406298#.UzG3GE1OV9A

As far as I remember, some sort of equivalent "sudo" command for Windows is "runas"

EG
runas /noprofile /user:Administrator cmd

You have to make sure that the Administrator account has a password.

BR,

Roberto

HP Support
The views expressed in my contributions are my own and do not necessarily reflect the views and strategy of HP.
If you find this or any post resolves your issue, please be sure to mark it as an accepted solution, If you are satisfied with anyone’s response please remember to give them a KUDOS and show your appreciation.
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.