Highlighted
Acclaimed Contributor.. Acclaimed Contributor..
Acclaimed Contributor..

What determines the unique identity of a node?

Hi,

In NNMi 10.10 on Linux, my customer experiences the following problem:

1. They seed in a node to the inventory. The node and its interfaces are discovered and NNMi starts to monitor the it all.

2. They seed in a different node of the same type, with a different IP address. What NNMi does then is to conclude that the seed is duplicate, and the node is thus not being added. What it does, however, is to replace the one and only IP of the node from step 1 with the IP of this second node..

If they at this stage seed in node 1 again, it adds the first IP address to the node instead.

I have noticed that some of the interfaces on node 1 have the same MAC-addresses as some of the interfaces on node 2, but in my experience this has not caused any problems since these are only local attributes of the node objects in question. So I do not know if it is relevant this time either.

My question is; What does NNMi use to uniquely identify a node and separate the various nodes from each other?

Cheers,
Frank 

0 Likes
1 Reply
Highlighted
Acclaimed Contributor.
Acclaimed Contributor.

Re: What determines the unique identity of a node?

Frank,

This is a complex area but essentially information along the lines of

* hostname
 * sysName
 * sysObjectID
 * IP addresses
 * Interface Mac addresses

is all used to determine if the node is a duplicate of an existing node.   If you have a specific situation then the best thing will be to open a case so that the data can be analysed to determine what the issue is and to get a fix for an issue if one exists.

All the best

Dave Y

MicroFocus Support
Viewed the Support tips? Search for "(NNMi) Support Tips" and order by Date to get the list
The views expressed in my contributions are my own and do not necessarily reflect the views and strategy of MicroFocus
If you find this or any post resolves your issue, please be sure to mark it as an accepted solution.
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.