Highlighted
Absent Member.. Absent Member..
Absent Member..

Windows Server 2012 and SNMP

I have, recently, learned that Microsoft has deprecated SNMP.  It seems they want windows services to be the way to get information and not SNMP.  It is possible to install SNMP but I am told they have to go through hoops to make that happen.  And it will be going away completely with future OS releases.

My question - what is HP doing for NNMi where SNMP is so integral to the product.  We want to be able to plan for this change as it will affect.  My understanding is v10 still depends on SNMP.  Is there another means for getting performance, and other, data beyond using SNMP?

0 Likes
2 Replies
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor.
Frequent Contributor.

Hello Ed,

Thanks for your response,

Let me tell you we have not receive any information yet about that change of SNMP with Windows services, as you mention the snmp protocol is the main data source of NNMi to know the network status, therefore, if there will be a change about it it is going to take a lot of time based all the network devices uses this protocol with managing purposes. 

Then, I would like to request for the source of this new to let the HP Lab know in case they are not aware about it.

Please let us know about it.

Thanks.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.. Absent Member..
Absent Member..

Here you go.  This URL shows the removed, and deprecated, features with Windows Server 2012. 

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh831568.aspx

==================================================================================

SNMP is deprecated. Instead, use the Common Information Model (CIM), which is supported by the WS-Management web services protocol and implemented as Windows Remote Management.

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.