Highlighted
Trusted Contributor.
Trusted Contributor.

can I get SNMP V3 traps from a ICMP supported node ?

Hi,

I have integrated a EMS (Element management System)  in NNMi which supports ICMP only. Due to customer policy we have changed the traps to V3 but they are not appearing in NNMi version 9.2

i took tcp dump (looks ok) and then set trace to finest where i can see below errors. I have changed the source address only. Any help much appreciated. Also, i am confused if NNMI is capable to receive V3 traps from a non-snmp device.

2019-06-28 21:25:16.440 FINEST [com.hp.ov.nms.trapd.NMTrapData] (SnmpTrapListener) Trap data parameters : Length : 530, Address: xx.xxx.xxx.xxx
2019-06-28 21:25:16.440 FINE [com.hp.ov.nms.trapd.SnmpTrapListener] (SnmpTrapListener) Recieved trap from: /xx.xxx.xxx.xxx
2019-06-28 21:25:16.440 FINEST [com.hp.ov.nms.trapd.MessageProcessor] (MessageProcessor) Processing trap from: /xx.xxx.xxx.xxx
2019-06-28 21:25:16.445 WARNING [com.hp.ov.nms.trapd.NMTrapData] (MessageProcessor) Trap_source_address_/xx.xxx.xxx.xxx_is_not_hosted_on_a_node_that_is_managed_by_NNM
2019-06-28 21:25:16.446 WARNING [com.hp.ov.nms.trapd.NMTrapData] (MessageProcessor) Failed to parse trap from /xx.xxx.xxx.xxx: Unknown engineId 80 00 13 70 01 0A 74 99 B4 for address xx.xxx.xxx.xxx
2019-06-28 21:25:16.446 FINE [com.hp.ov.nms.trapd.MessageProcessor] (MessageProcessor) SnmpException when parsing SNMPv3 trap. Will try SNMPv3 discovery for source /xx.xxx.xxx.xxx
SourceAddress: /xx.xxx.xxx.xxx[36960]

0 Likes
7 Replies
Highlighted
Outstanding Contributor.. Outstanding Contributor..
Outstanding Contributor..

Re: can I get SNMP V3 traps from a ICMP supported node ?

Sure,  you can!
have a look to NNMi 9.2x Deployment guide, chapter:
Configuring NNMi to Authenticate SNMPv3 Traps for Nodes Not Being Monitored. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 442

regards,
Gedas

Highlighted
Trusted Contributor.
Trusted Contributor.

Hi,
Thanks for replying. Could you please share the link to get this document?
0 Likes
Highlighted
Trusted Contributor.
Trusted Contributor.

Never mind sir. Got the document and already tried it, but it's not working.
0 Likes
Highlighted

Strange. It works like a charm in e.g. NNMi 10.20 . Did you restarted NNMI server after

By the way I found that this feature/configuration  is described in NNMI 9.23, 9.22  Deployment Guides, but not in 9.20 . I guess the feature was implemented in 9.22 and later versions. 

What is exact version of your NNMi ?  9.20 ? Can you try install patch #3 to you NNMi 9.20 and upgrade it?

regards,
Gedas

0 Likes
Highlighted
Trusted Contributor.
Trusted Contributor.

Yeah it's 9.20
Are you sure it is present in only 9.22 version ? And there's any patch which can be use in 9.20 ?
I followed every step mentioned in guide. There's one more thing which I am not able to understand is do I need to add the node in specefic node setiings ( snmp v3 ) ? I did that too. Please let me know if I have to remove it. I had created a global cluster for such nodes and added this node in specefic node settings also.
0 Likes
Highlighted

Hi,

no, I'm not sure. Just guessing relaying on the fact that this feature description is available in NNMi 9.22 and later deployment guides. NNMi 9.2x was released some 4 or 5 years ago, is unsupported and it is not easy to check or get an  answer from Microfocus. .

No, this is non-snmp node, so you need no be to add it to "Specific node settings". Even more - it is not mandatory to seed this node and have it in NNMI inventory (then do not forget to allow NNMi to received traps from "unknown" devices "Discard Unresolved SNMP Traps and Syslog Messages" = disabled)

NNMi 9.20 Patch 5 (and older)  can be found here:  https://   softwaresupport.softwaregrp.com/doc/KM01321899

regards,
Gedas

Highlighted
Trusted Contributor.
Trusted Contributor.

Thanks for your support 🙂 will try to get microfocus team on it.

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.