Having problems with your account or logging in?
A lot of changes are happening in the community right now. Some may affect you. READ MORE HERE
Highlighted
Absent Member.. AKUK Absent Member..
Absent Member..

iSPI Metrics - NPS slow to consume 'csv.gz' files

Hello,

I have an unusual problem where my NPS server (iSMPI Metics 10.0x, windows & dedicated) is very slow to consume the 'csv.gz' files. After monitoring it for a while, its averaging 22 'csv.gz' files per an hour!!!!

The server specs are 32 GB RAM and 16 CPU cores. On average, 80% of the memory and 60% of the CPU is consumed.

Any ideas?

Tags (4)
0 Likes
6 Replies
Vincent_M_NNM Acclaimed Contributor.
Acclaimed Contributor.

Re: iSPI Metrics - NPS slow to consume 'csv.gz' files

Hello Akuk

Thanks for posting,

This could be related to the performance or maybe the DB and ETL need to be tuned to increase the speed of consumption.  To know the reason why this could be happening, I will need to check your perfspi.log. If for some reason you cannot share that information I recommend you to look on the log and look for any warning, fatal message. We have adequate steps to prevent this kind of situations.

Also you can open a support case, if you take the decision to open a case with them,  you can run the collectDiagnostics.ovpl command on the NPS server and upload it to your case for troubleshooting.

Hope this helps,

Regards,

Vincent Montenegro Mena
Customer Support Engineer

If you find that this or any other post resolves your issue, please be sure to mark it as an accepted solution.
If you are satisfied with anyone’s response please remember to give them a KUDOS by clicking on the STAR at the bottom left of the post and show your appreciation.
0 Likes
Absent Member..

Thank you Vincent.

I can share the warning & fatal message by tomorrow but from what I can remember, most of the warning messages specify 'waiting for the topology dump' and the fatal massage specify 'access denied to %NPSDataDir%NNMPerformanceSPI\extension pack '. Someting along those lines.

If you can, share with me how to increase the speed of consumption and I'll try it tomorrow.

0 Likes
Vincent_M_NNM Acclaimed Contributor.
Acclaimed Contributor.

Hello Akuk

We can do the following:

- First is important to say that you need to take a backup for the system to prevent any issue.

Step 1

Go to the following path:  Drive:\Program Files (x86)\HP\HP BTO Software\nonOV\sybaseiq\IQ-15_2\BIN64\

once there run the following: dbisql -nogui -c "DSN=PerfSPIDSN"

Then you need to set the followinf data in there:

>Set OPTION PUBLIC.HASH_PINNABLE_CACHE_PERCENT=10;
>Set OPTION PUBLIC.HASH_THRASHING_PERCENT=15;

ctrl+C to exit

Step 2:

stopETL.ovpl
stopDB.ovpl
startETL.ovpl
startDB.ovpl

Step 3: This steps must be done for each extension pack installed on the system.

dbCheckIndexes.ovpl -r -f -p <Extension_Pack>

Please do those steps under a maintenance window to reduce the impact in you environment.

Hope that helps,

Regards,

Vincent Montenegro Mena
Customer Support Engineer

If you find that this or any other post resolves your issue, please be sure to mark it as an accepted solution.
If you are satisfied with anyone’s response please remember to give them a KUDOS by clicking on the STAR at the bottom left of the post and show your appreciation.
0 Likes
Erno Petro Super Contributor.
Super Contributor.

Hello Akuk,

Before make any tuning :), let me ask a question. What are the general size of .csv.gz files?

The processing speed (by ETL) really depends on the size of these files ;)

BR

Erno

HPE SW Support
If you find that this or any post resolves your issue, please be sure to mark it as an accepted solution.
0 Likes
Absent Member..

Each 'csv.gz' file is less than 2.5 MB

Below are some of the WARN & FATAL in the log.

Dec 03, 2015 11:34:49 AM [PID:1172] WARN D:/Program Files (x86)/HP/HP BTO Software/NNMPerformanceSPI/bin/.etl-runtime.Interface_Traffic.ovpl[557] ETL.Interface_Traffic No existing topology for InterfaceTrafficTopology.. Waiting for full topology dump from NNMi.

Dec 03, 2015 11:19:29 AM [PID:2504] WARN D:/Program Files (x86)/HP/HP BTO Software/NNMPerformanceSPI/bin/.etl-runtime.Ping_Latency.ovpl[561] ETL.Ping_Latency No existing topology for PingLatencyTopology.. Waiting for full topology dump from NNMi.

Dec 01, 2015 04:37:52 PM [PID:6880] FATAL D:/Program Files (x86)/HP/HP BTO Software/nonOV/perl/a/bin/../lib/5.8.8/NPS/nps.pm[1521] ETL.Quality_Assurance Stacktrace: 0. D:/Program Files (x86)/HP/HP BTO Software/nonOV/perl/a/bin/../lib/5.8.8/NPS/nps.pm:1521 [NPS::npslog::FATAL()]
Dec 01, 2015 04:37:52 PM [PID:6880] FATAL D:/Program Files (x86)/HP/HP BTO Software/nonOV/perl/a/bin/../lib/5.8.8/NPS/nps.pm[1521] ETL.Quality_Assurance Stacktrace: 1. D:/Program Files (x86)/HP/HP BTO Software/NNMPerformanceSPI/bin/.etl-runtime.Quality_Assurance.ovpl:5258 [main::copy_or_die()]
Dec 01, 2015 04:37:52 PM [PID:6880] FATAL D:/Program Files (x86)/HP/HP BTO Software/nonOV/perl/a/bin/../lib/5.8.8/NPS/nps.pm[1521] ETL.Quality_Assurance Stacktrace: 2. D:/Program Files (x86)/HP/HP BTO Software/NNMPerformanceSPI/bin/.etl-runtime.Quality_Assurance.ovpl:4043 [main::updateTimeDim()]
Dec 01, 2015 04:37:52 PM [PID:6880] FATAL D:/Program Files (x86)/HP/HP BTO Software/nonOV/perl/a/bin/../lib/5.8.8/NPS/nps.pm[1521] ETL.Quality_Assurance Stacktrace: 3. D:/Program Files (x86)/HP/HP BTO Software/NNMPerformanceSPI/bin/.etl-runtime.Quality_Assurance.ovpl:469 [main::process_metricsfiles()]
Dec 01, 2015 04:37:52 PM [PID:6880] FATAL D:/Program Files (x86)/HP/HP BTO Software/nonOV/perl/a/bin/../lib/5.8.8/NPS/nps.pm[1521] ETL.Quality_Assurance Stacktrace: 4. D:/Program Files (x86)/HP/HP BTO Software/NNMPerformanceSPI/bin/.etl-runtime.Quality_Assurance.ovpl:403 [main::get_metrics()]
Dec 01, 2015 04:37:52 PM [PID:6880] FATAL D:/Program Files (x86)/HP/HP BTO Software/nonOV/perl/a/bin/../lib/5.8.8/NPS/nps.pm[1521] ETL.Quality_Assurance Stacktrace: 5. D:/Program Files (x86)/HP/HP BTO Software/NNMPerformanceSPI/bin/.etl-runtime.Quality_Assurance.ovpl:165 [main::processDataLoop()]
Dec 01, 2015 04:37:53 PM [PID:6880] FATAL D:/Program Files (x86)/HP/HP BTO Software/nonOV/perl/a/bin/../lib/5.8.8/NPS/nps.pm[1521] ETL.Quality_Assurance Failed command copy(D:/ProgramData/HP/HP BTO Software/NNMPerformanceSPI/Quality_Assurance/temp/newtimerecords.csv.tmp,D:/ProgramData/HP/HP BTO Software/NNMPerformanceSPI/Quality_Assurance/temp/newtimerecords.csv):

0 Likes
David Campeau Absent Member.
Absent Member.

I remember some time back where NPS was slow to gobble down the files, but I made a change that really helped.

Who knows if this will work for you, but I found out that NPS needs a lot of Virtual Memory.  I've set up NPS for 20500 Maximum size, and I believe it actually could use a bit more.

Since making the change, NPS is much "snappier", and doesn't have issues keeping up sucking down the compressed files.

How is Virtual Memory set up in your enviornment?

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.