Highlighted
Acclaimed Contributor.. Acclaimed Contributor..
Acclaimed Contributor..

iSPI Performance NPS - Reduce the DB file size

HI

My customer har NNMi 10.0 with iSPI Performance for Metrics and for MPLS with an NPS on a dedicated server. The total size of the *.iq DB-files is now almost 600Gb and the total usage of the /var/opt is 1.4 Tbytes.

We will sooon upgrade NNMi and the iSPI with NPS to 10.10, but before doing that we would like to reduce the size of the NPS DB, as I fear that the upgrade will otherwise be very slow.

1. Am I right in assuming that this is the case (i.e. that upgrading the NPS will be a heavy/slow task)?

2. Is there a way to reduced the size of the database by e.g. deleting all data older than a specific date, from the command line?

On their test server I have tried to change the permanent retention settings by means of the runConfigurationGUI.ovpl command and restarting the ETL process, as I have not yet found another way to do it. The size of the database files and the total size of /var/opt is still the same, however, so it seems that the space has not been freed on the disk.

Cheers,
Frank Mortensen
Managon AB

0 Likes
7 Replies
Highlighted
Acclaimed Contributor.
Acclaimed Contributor.

Re: iSPI Performance NPS - Reduce the DB file size

Hello Frank-Mangon

Thanks for posting

Sadly there is no way to reduce the size of the database.

There are already several ER about this issue asking for a method to reduce the database although at the moment they haven´t been implemented yet. They are:

http://support.openview.hp.com/selfsolve/document/KM1161245

http://support.openview.hp.com/selfsolve/document/KM1221630

Regards,

Vincent Montenegro Mena
Customer Support Engineer

If you find that this or any other post resolves your issue, please be sure to mark it as an accepted solution.
If you are satisfied with anyone’s response please remember to give them a KUDOS by clicking on the STAR at the bottom left of the post and show your appreciation.
Highlighted
Acclaimed Contributor..

Ok, thanks for the info.

But is there a command that can be run to delete historical data, for instance everything older than a certain date? Even though it does not reduce the "physical" size of the database?

I have one more question as well: If I *reduce* the retention period settings using the config tool, will this immediately delete some of the historical data in the database, i.e. the data that is now older than the retention period settings? 

Cheers,
Frank

0 Likes
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Hi Frank,

Regarding retention, for any changes to take effect, the ETL service needs to be restarted using stopETL.ovpl and startETL.ovpl, since the ETL processes are those responsible for deleting the old data according to the new retention periods.

Note that the retention values can be configured on a per Extension Pack basis.

You may want to have a look at the "Modifying Data Retention Settings" of the NNM iSPI Performance for Metrics Deployment guide for aditional information, that is available at

https://softwaresupport.hpe.com/km/KM02208900/nnm_ispi_Metrics_Deployment_10.20.pdf

As pointed out earlier in this discussion thread, changing the retention values will not reduce the physical DB size at the end, just free space in the DB, resulting in the "Used(%)" of USER_MAIN in the dbsize.ovpl output to decrease accordingly.

In case:

1. the Sybase IQ DB has been extended by adding additional USER_MAIN files using the options -f -a -r and -p  of command "dbsize.ovpl", resulting in:
    - the data to be distributed over more USER_MAIN files
    - the overall "Used(%)" of USER_MAIN to decrease 
  2.  however,  the percentage of DB really used finally stabilize at a level that is much lower that the expected one at the end, removing the need of this extra file

there is no tool provided out of the box with the NPS that allows to distribute all the data back over the original number of USER_MAIN files  (20 by default), in order to completely free the extra one that got added earlier and be able to delete it at the end, in order to really fee disk space.

However, an internal procedure exists that shows all the manual dbisql commands that would allow to achieve this if really required. This procedure has not been published externally to avoid any DB corruption in case the steps are not properly followed, but it can be shared by HPE Support on a case per case basis if really needed.

Cheers

Marie-Noelle

Micro Focus Customer Support

If you find that this or any post resolves your issue, please be sure to mark it as an accepted solution.

If you are satisfied with anyone’s response please remember to give them KUDOS and show your appreciation.
Highlighted
Acclaimed Contributor..

Thanks, Marie!

We have not increased the number of files beyond 20, so I guess that workaround would not apply to us?

The current number of configured files is default (20) but the current number of actual DB-files right now is only 5, and they are each 113GB big.

Cheers,
Frank

0 Likes
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Hi Frank,

Indeed. Although this procedure is quite a generic one explaining our to completely empty a USER_MAIN DB file to be able to drop it and free disk space at the end, we generally do not recommend to reduce the number of DB files under the default value.

Cheers

Marie-Noelle

Micro Focus Customer Support

If you find that this or any post resolves your issue, please be sure to mark it as an accepted solution.

If you are satisfied with anyone’s response please remember to give them KUDOS and show your appreciation.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Respected Contributor.
Respected Contributor.

Hi Vincent,

Can you please send me the below KM details i am not able to download this KM through my MF Account.

if possible plz send my Email: dablu.kuldeep@gmail.com

http://support.openview.hp.com/selfsolve/document/KM1161245

http://support.openview.hp.com/selfsolve/document/KM1221630
0 Likes
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Hi Frank,

Please check this document for "How to shrink the Sybase IQ DB by truncating unused DB space."

https://softwaresupport.softwaregrp.com/doc/KM00908720

How to shrink the Sybase IQ DB by truncating unused DB space

Thanks,
Bharath
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.