Highlighted
Honored Contributor.
Honored Contributor.

snmp link down on itnerface trap received with out interface name but only with if index name

Hi,

we are observing snmp link down on interface trap in nnmi received with if index name but not with if interface name, can any one advise how can i import the interface name on the trap configurations, i tried with varbind values, but for some device the interface name or description order changes in custom attributes.hence it is not populating exact values in trap message, any one can advise how can i include interface name in the snmp trap configuration.

0 Likes
4 Replies
Highlighted
Acclaimed Contributor.. Acclaimed Contributor..
Acclaimed Contributor..

Re: snmp link down on itnerface trap received with out interface name but only with if index name

Hello bebu,

if NNMi "knows" this interface, the column Source Object of the incident contains the ifDescription. Then you shouls be able to add $ifAlias to the message text (see online help for other "Valid Parameters Visible from an Interface Form").

HTH and kind regards

Allessandro

0 Likes
Highlighted
Honored Contributor.
Honored Contributor.

Re: snmp link down on itnerface trap received with out interface name but only with if index name

Hi Alles,

i have tried with ifAlias in the incident configuration form, but my alerts received with unknow cia names in it. what does that mean, doe the trap deos not have oid variable for interface name ?

how do i see what are the parameters are set for the snmp link down / up in the device syslog ?

0 Likes
Highlighted
Acclaimed Contributor.. Acclaimed Contributor..
Acclaimed Contributor..

Hello bebu,

if the sending node and related interface is no tin the NNMi database/topology, NNMi cannot "fill" the $ifAlias variable.

If the SNMP trap does not contain the information you are looking for, the only option is to use "some" information from the reveiving trap and to kick of an action script which uses these information to get the needed values and to generate a new SNMP trap with them.

HTH and kind regards

Allessandro

0 Likes
Highlighted
Honored Contributor.
Honored Contributor.

Hi Alless

is there any other way that hp can create functionality to get interface name instead ifindex name ?

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.