Highlighted
Super Contributor.
Super Contributor.

sysUpTime @ MIB Expression

Hi all,

I am trying to build a MIB Expression for a type Counter MIB variable.

If I understood correctly, I have to divide the variable with sysUpTime * 0.01 in order to get rate and not the actual value of the counter. The funny thing is that i cannot select sysUpTime from the MIB Expression Editor. Instead I can only select sysUpTimeInstance as you can see in the picture attached. If I select this variable, the graph which uses the MIB Expression does not work.

Can you explain why this is happening and how i can select sysUpTime???

Thank you in advance,

Costas

0 Likes
1 Reply
Highlighted
Acclaimed Contributor.. Acclaimed Contributor..
Acclaimed Contributor..

Re: sysUpTime @ MIB Expression

SysUpTime is defined by RFC 1213 as

sysUpTime OBJECT-TYPE
              SYNTAX  TimeTicks
              ACCESS  read-only
              STATUS  mandatory
              DESCRIPTION
                      "The time (in hundredths of a second) since the
                      network management portion of the system was last
                      re-initialized."
              ::= { system 3 }

So its not something you can change 

The Timeticks in the imports section comes from RFC 1155 -SMI

3.2.3.5. TimeTicks

This application-wide type represents a non-negative integer which
   counts the time in hundredths of a second since some epoch.  When
   object types are defined in the MIB which use this ASN.1 type, the
   description of the object type identifies the reference epoch.

So you're trying to edit a reference, you'll need to create your own mib expression using the same oid 1.3.6.1.2.1.1.3 , but name it something else.  The application uses that as a linear counter and just watches the delta, when the delta is negative then it indicates that the SNMP agent has restarted. If its the same as the last poll its a symptom the agent has hung.

Have a nice day 🙂

Andy Kemp
I've lasted longer in the technology industry than most certifications.
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.