Create an OES NSS NAS

Idea ID 2790030

Create an OES NSS NAS

Setting up and managing OES for file serving can be complex and confusing - especially if you've never managed OES / eDirectory before. My idea proposes that Micro Focus either create themselves or team up with a hardware manufacturer to produce a NAS appliance that runs a stripped back version of OES and focuses on File Serving.

A simple wizard at startup would take care of setting up the appliance - such as joining Active Directory or eDirectory or simply creating local users. Then a web based control panel could take care of management - including updates.

This idea would remove most of the complexity of running SLES/OES/eDirectory for admins and allow them to focus on providing world class file access via all the protocols supported by OES.
2 Comments
Super Contributor.
Super Contributor.
I agree. I added an idea for a OES Appliance for the same reasons. If you are just using the OES services then you do not want to mess with the Linux and patches etc.
New Member.
I brought this up in a meeting with our Rep in a meeting a week ago. He was interested and indicated he had not heard of that idea. I really tried to push it with them. We will see!
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.