How to fix the incomplete synchronization - items not synchronized

How to fix the incomplete synchronization - items not synchronized

Step one - Debug the server




  • Modify the log file level on the server.

  • Edit the file %IFOLDERDirectory%/simias/data/simias/Simias.log4net

  • Look for "<level value="INFO" />" in the XML. Change it to "<level value="DEBUG" />" then save the file.

  • Now tail the log file with this grep filter.

  • Change directory to the log directory %IFOLDERDirectory%/simias/data/simias/log/Simias.log

  • run this tail command:

    tail -f Simias.log | grep "Could not find file"



From your PC having the issue with the "incomplete synchronization" start the sync.



On the server console where you ran the tail command you will see the files the server is missing.



Step two - Fix the files



You have several options for fixing the issue.


The one I prefer is to log into the iFolder web interface and delete the files that are having the issues. Then using the web interface upload the files one at a time. This works if you only have a few files that are issues.



If you have thousands then you may have a deeper problem. In that case I would revert the iFolder to a normal folder and re-create it. After you revert it you should check with the web interface to make sure it is gone.



Remember to change the "Simias.log4net" back to "INFO" when you are done.

DISCLAIMER:

Some content on Community Tips & Information pages is not officially supported by Micro Focus. Please refer to our Terms of Use for more detail.
Comments
Do we know what causes this issue? I would be more interested in really fixing it, than this workaround.
We need this to be fixed for all users always.
I have a three-client system for a law firm and we were planning on using iFolder as a secure file-sharing system. It worked well for three weeks.

But now, like some hidden time bomb, we've had one client that's just started failing in this way, with status of "24 items not synchrnoized" and a cute little exclamation point logo on the folder icon. The client doesn't give any error messages in its log. We upgraded the client over to 8.0.0.3, which indicates in its README that it fixed "xx items not synchronized problems that most users were seeing." BS. It's still got the same cute icon but now it is saying 28 items cannot be synchronized.

I switched the Simias log to DEBUG and tail-grepped for "Cannot find file," per the above instructions. Nothing. I grepped for "error" and "fail", and scrolled through the last several hours of messages. Again, nothing indicating a problem. Why do you write an application that fails secretly like this? If there's an error with 28 items, TELL ME WHAT THE ERROR, OR AT LEAST WHICH FILES IT IS WITH. This is passive aggressive software: nice at first, then turns out there's vague, fundamental problems in our relationship that it doesn't want to talk about.
First of all, I did not write the iFolder program.

Secondly, why would you grep for "Cannot find file." when my note states to grep for "Could not find file"? That may be why you aren't returning any results.

I don't work for Novell. I simply wrote this article to help other people. If it doesn't help you then I’m sorry. Try Google.
Hi!,

I am too facing the problem of synchronization of files.
so after looking at logs & setting the grep for "not found" I am getting the list of all unsynchronized files.

does any one got the solution on how to sync thousand files which has not synced.

Thanks,
/wc
Once I have the list of files, I go to the client system and move the files in the list from the ifolder to an alternate location. Then I let the ifolder sync. Then move the files back and sync again. In my experience this has taken care of the issue. You have accomplished the first step. Good luck.
Does anyone know if this has been logged as a bug and what the bug # is?
Agree with wc. Used the following:

fs1:/var/simias/data/simias/log # tail -f Simias.log | grep "not found"

which returned the following:
2012-03-24 13:19:38,814 [-1330721936] DEBUG Simias.Sync.Log -file /var/sinias/data/simias/SimiasFiles/02/25ee......../home/pwsafe.plk not found

Killed that file in the web interface, resynched and all was well.
Top Contributors
Version history
Revision #:
1 of 1
Last update:
‎2010-07-21 00:06
Updated by:
 
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.